1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get headphones working?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zvone, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

On my desktop I got 2 inputs for headphones(back&front) but none is working. The only way I can get them to work is to unplug the speakers(back panel) and plug headphones instead.I tried everything in Realtec Sound manager but with no success. I couldn't find anything in BIOS related to sound. I even opened my com. and all the wires seemed to be in order.Any suggestions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Wrong jack on headphones? Does it match the speaker jack exactly?

3. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

Yes it does. This thing is amazing. I read about 100 posts about similar problems and the solution still remains a mystery. The best answer was to buy new pair of speakers with an input for headphones! I just wander why they put that input at the front panel when it's in most cases useless(asked 6-7 friends, none was able to figure it out)?

4. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

Any ideas?

5. Hughv

Hughv

Exact make and model of the computer?

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

What were the front panel audio connectors actually attached to? Headers on the motherboard?

7. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

It's custom built mate(Intel Core2Duo [email protected], Asus -motherboard-P5KPL-AM/PS, 3.5 Gb of RAM).

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

That motherboard should have a "front panel High Definition audio connector".

Is that what the front panel wires plug in to? It should look like an 8 pin connector.

9. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

That's right.

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

Well, the way it's supposed to work with front panel high definition controllers is, when you plug headphones in, the speakers automatically mute and the headphones now carry the audio out.

I don't know why it's not working in your case. Perhaps some pics of your setup and motherboard connections would help...

11. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

You are right mate. In Realtec sound manager I've selected the option:"Mute rear panel output when front headphone plugged in" but unfortunately nothing happens. Regarding setup and motherboard pics, it's not worth it mate because so many people got the same problem and nobody have figured out how to fix it. Anyway prunejuice, thank's for your help!

12. skychurch

skychurch

I've had the same problem as you.
    Your CPU chassis front panel is probably AC97 while the audio headers on your motherboard is HD audio. The "sense" pin is located differently which is why your sound card cannot detect when a headphone is inserted in the front panel.

Here's a workaround for manually enabling headphone output via the front panel:
    1. Open Realtek Audio Manager.
    2. Under "Advanced Device Settings", enable "Make front and rear output devices playback 2 different audio streams simultaneously"
    3. You should have an "HD Audio 2nd output" tab.
    4. To switch from speaker to headphone, select the "HD Audio 2nd output" tab and click on "Set default device".
    5. To switch to speaker, select the "Speakers" tab and click on "Set default device".

This might also give you some ideas:
    http://www.techyv.com/questions/headphone-not-detected-new-computer#comments

13. softvib

softvib

useful info..thanks..i also want this info...

14. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I don't have that option in Realtec at all!?

15. skychurch

skychurch

@zvone

Do you mean the "HD 2nd audio output" tab?

You may have to enable HD audio in your BIOS. Some BIOSes have an option for choosing between HD audio or AC97.

You might also have to update your Realtek drivers to get the latest Audio Manager.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!