1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get into BIOS as supervisor on IBM ThinkPad T41?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by TheaceGary, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheaceGary

TheaceGary Thread Starter

Hi,

I want to re-install OS on a IBM ThinkPad T41.I can get into BIOS but I am unable to make any changes(want system to boot from CD).All I get is the Beep sound whenever I try making any changes on the options available. On the right it says "All items on this menu cannot be modified in user mode.If any items require changes,please consult your system supervisor"

Under the Security>Password menu I get the following Options:

Using Passphrase [Enter]
    - Current Setting Enabled

Supervisor Password [Enabled]
    Lock BIOS Settings [Enter]
    -Current setting [Enabled]

Set Minimum Length [Enter]
    -Current setting Disabled
    Power-On Password [Disabled]
    Hard Disk1 Password [Disabled]

But just like the other menu I am unable to make any changes.

I don't get any option to log in as the supervisor
    Also I dont remember setting up any password for the supervisor. How can I log in as the supervisor and make changes ??

Thx in advance for your Help!

2. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

TheaceGary,
    why do you want to install from a cd?
    if you go that route, you will have to find and download all the drivers, etc
    did you read the manual?
    did you try to install as the manual directed you?

if the system is locked down, you are pretty much just pure plain out of luck.
    the manual from ibm that came with that unit warns you if you do something of this nature, to make SURE you keep such information where it is readily accessible for some future time - that if you have chosen to do this - the only option is replacing hard drive, etc etc....and this info is as ibm puts it....

AND
    did you read the forumm's rules when you signed up?
    this forum's rules on this site prevent anyone from helping in a project of this type because we can't know if it really belongs to you, or was aquired otherwise....

thank you for understanding

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As Daniel said above it sounds like your BIOS is password protected. Closing, per our password rule:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice