1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get into HP System Restore?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have an older HP Pavilion computer here of the 1800-MHz vintage. It has an NTFS partition and another partition identified in (DOS) FDisk as Non-DOS. Partition Magic nor Windows assign it a drive letter.

It is over 4 Gigabytes in size and its label in Partition Magic is SYSTEM_RECOVERY. So, I am reasonably certain the HP System recovery files are in there.

Ho do I access this System Recovery?

F1 on boot takes me into the BIOS. F2 and F10 do nothing.

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

This is normally accessed through the HP System Recovery program in the start menu, if you can't get into Windows then you will need the recovery CDs instead.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The HP recovery partition is HPs version of the recovery CDs.
    You did make a set of recovery CDs / DVDs didn’t you ???

The HP recovery Partition can only be accessed via HPs recovery tools.

Do NOT remove it unless you know what you are doing.
    Removing it will change the Partition postion of your operating system and you must edit the Boot.ini file accordingly - or you will not be able to boot anymore.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Normally, F10 would bring up the system recovery. The partition table was corrupt, thousands of crosslinked files, multitude of other errors in the file table secondary to adware/spyware, etc. For this reason, the system didn't respond to F10 during POST.

I had the owner order a set of recovery CDs today.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384837