1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get New Driver for Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Panicea, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Panicea

Panicea Thread Starter

I have a new Buffalo Airstation Wireless Router and my old Sony Vaio can connect but no internet access. I have contacted Buffalo support who say it's a common problem usually solved by installing new driver. But how do I download a new driver when the laptop can't connect to the internet?
    Thank You

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You would need a computer that has a working connection to the Internet. Use a web browser on that computer to visit the support area of the Sony web site. You should then be able to download the drivers needed for your particular Vaio model, its particular wireless hardware and the operating system being used. Also write down or print out any provided instructions on how to install the drivers. You can then transfer the downloaded file(s) to a USB flash memory drive or burn them to a CD for use in the laptop.

If you still have problems connecting to the Airstation, post exactly what you have done and the exact nature of the problem. You should also use the "Report" link in your first post to request a moderator move this topic to the networking forum.

3. Panicea

Panicea Thread Starter

Thanks Chuck. I have been to the Sony Vaio web site and cannot find any update drivers for my model PCG-K415S.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No drivers? Or just no wireless drivers? Let's collect some more info ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. Panicea

Panicea Thread Starter

I have uploaded the two screenshots Xirrus and config /all but can't see them.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You will not have internet access with that static IP configuration. You need to also specify the Default Gateway and a DNS Server. Much better to just use a dynamic connection.

7. Panicea

Panicea Thread Starter

I had wireless internet access just fine with my previous Buffalo airstation, but not with the new. How do I "specify the Default Gateway and a DNS Server?" If by dynamic connection you are referring to a cable/wire this is not achievable from where I use the Vaio.
    Thanks.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  9. Panicea

Panicea Thread Starter

I followed these instructions but it seems to have taken me a step backwards. I used to get a screen message saying the connection was successful but now it says "acquiring ip address" and then fails to find it.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you are not using MAC Address filtering on the router.

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful try using WPA-PSK encryption.

11. Panicea

Panicea Thread Starter

Sorry no idea whether I'm using MAC address filtering - how do I check?

How do I disable encryption on the router and use WPA-PSK?

12. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    We will need the router model to find that information. Usually its under LAN/WLAN configuration, under security

13. Panicea

Panicea Thread Starter

Many thanks but this is getting a bit too complicated for me. Re-reading what the BUFFALO tech. said, it seems I need to re-install the driver rather than obtaining an update. Any help on that?

14. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    If it worked before on another router, it is not a wireless card issue. It is a router issue

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To reinstall a driver just right click on the device (wireless adapter) in Device Manager and 'uninstall'; then restart and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver.

Login to the router, navigate to the wireless section and set the Encryption (or Security) Mode to 'none' or 'off' or similar. MAC Address filtering may be a little harder to find--section may be 'filtering' or 'access' or something else. Consult the user guide for specifics.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice