1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to get rid of a dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LazyVampire, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LazyVampire

LazyVampire Thread Starter

I have a problem with playing some games that seems to trace back to dinput8 dll, (a problem I see a few people have and cant find a solution to). If I try to run DXDiag it shuts down.

I saw somewhere that replacing the dll with an older version worked. There is the problem. Ive moved the existing dll, replaced it , but it just keeps changing back. Ive renamed it, Ive deleted it , Ive moved it, Ive overwritten it but it just keeps changing back.

Ive tried the directx update thing from Microsoft too.

Any suggestions on how to make this file go away and stay away ?

(OS is XP SP3)

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

LazyVampire, Try unregistering that dll file then try deleting it.

How do I Unregister a .DLL file?
    http://dllcity.com/how-to-unregister-dll-files.php

Note that you would use your dll file name and path instead what's shown in the illustration and the spacing is important..

Tufenuf

3. LazyVampire

okay, did that then pasted the older one. Closed the folder, went back in and its changed back to the original one.

I even tried removing directx by removing the reg folder, then rebooting so it would reinstall the version it came with. But it looks like the version it came with is the one I have anyway. lol

and now I have this in dxdiag too

I wonder if I should just accept that I now cant play certain games and neither can my grandaughter, and pray this doesnt get worse. Ive been googling for hours and also trying to update my graphics drivers (unsuccessfully).

thanks for trying to help hun.

4. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

are these games older game for example ones that came out per ME
    do they say they will work with xp
    you could try running the programs in compatibility mode
    if you have been playing the game without trouble before hand it may have been caused by a windows update and if that is the case then there is not much you can do.

5. huggie54

huggie54

hiya, just a thought have you tried removing/deleting in safe mode

6. LazyVampire

mostly new but XP compatible (I always check) , one Ive had on my PC for a while. Some of the newer (hidden object type games) have just shut down before I got a chance to play, so I just uninstalled them and didnt bother. The Barbie game I installed a year ago, and my granddaughter has played it often (although probably not for a couple of months) without any issues.

It wouldnt be the first time something has gone bad after updates, so THAT would not surprise me. I cant even pinpoint when it started cause I never really thought anything of it until today because I knew that Barbie game had never had problems before. That was the first time I thought to run dxdiag.

thanks for the suggestion though.

sorry huggie54, we were posting at same time.

I havent tried that because it IS allowing me to delete, it just changes back.

7. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

ok when you delete it when does it come back?
    strait way
    after you turn the computer on
    after you launch the game

8. LazyVampire

right away. If I shut the folder then reopen, it's back. I tried rebooting immediately after overwriting it and it was back there after the reboot.

Something I did notice is that in my i386 folder there is a file called Dinput8 and its a DL_File (a windows back up file ?). Even thought I havent touched that, the "modified" date on it is tonight, yet its sister file Dinput is dated the same date as the original dlls. Could this back up file be the thing that keeps regenerating the one Im trying to get rid of ?

I gave up retrying the game earlier today, but the DXDiag keeps crashing so I know the problem is still there.

9. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

ok save a copy of that file on a external data store eg memory stick, then remove it so that the file is not in any way connected to the computer, then delete both files. if the dll returns replace the file that you stored on the memory stick or what ever

10. LazyVampire

moved both to my external storage. Replaced the dll and went back to check , its back again lol

Oh well obviously I was wrong about that idea.

11. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

well that removes the idea that it was backed up, i think that is is a windows update short of reformation your computer there is nothing else i can think of. i could be a virus have you scanned your computer if so what av did you use

12. LazyVampire

I did, with Endpoint. I also ran malwarebytes both clean.

However, I did find a virus (worm) two weeks ago, (malwarebytes found it , Endpoint didnt, and Ive no idea how long it was there)

Either way, I think your right. If I find the problem gets worse I may have to consider reformatting or reinstalling windows (which I really dread doing). It doesnt do it with every game so maybe I can live with it for now.

I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help, thank you.

13. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

well i am sorry but i am out of ideas i think that it is just windows update it may pass, you could try compatibility mode but i don't hold out much hope

14. huggie54

huggie54

Good to hear LazyVampire could you please mark your thread as solved,thanx g/luck Huggie54

15. LazyVampire

I think you're right and compatibilty wouldnt help because it wasnt an issue before.

no apologies necessary, you tried very hard to help.

@huggie54

is it okay to leave this open for a while ? Im not really inclined to reformat just yet and someone else may come up with something we havent thought of

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice