1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get rid of MSN Messenger instead?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nanino, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

I'd like to get rid of MSN Messenger, or at least neutralise it, but i made a mistake and deleted its entry in the C.Panel/AddRemove box listing, so now i dont know how to remove it in an orthodox and safe way.
    Delete the folders and files and bob your uncle?
    Reinstall it and then remove it from the usual AddRemove button?
    My firewall is already set to forbid Chat since two days and the movements in Port 137 both in and out are a lot less than before.
    Can anyone help?thanks
    nanino
    Windows98SE,IE6 SP1,AVG,Preventon firewall.

2. dabwid

dabwid

3. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

thanks dabwid,but unfortunately there is no MSN entry in my Installer Clean Up utility,so i cant use it.
    If only i'd know that by reinstalling the same 5.0 version on top of the exhisting one i solve the problem of creating again a C.Panel/AddRemove entry i'd be through the problem.

4. mobo

mobo

Copy the following line into your start/ run box to delete it from your system:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %systemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

First right click on the taskbar icon and select exit..

5. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

motherboard,i took my time because i had to check a few anomalies regarding MSN.
    I tried what you suggested but the command doesnt work,saying the Inf file is missing,and really it is,but i suspect this command might be effective with Windows messenger only,not MSN.
    (in this precise instant i realise that in the right upper corner of this page there is a "How to get rid of MSN messenger" well in evidence i had not paid attention to,i'll see later)
    What i want to ask you is:
    considering i am not interested in downloading a new MSN version,
    that the program is no longer in the start menu,the AddRemove box,is only present in the Program folder in C,it seems neutralised,
    what about if i rename the folder in order to 'disable' it?
    shall i have to expect problems or slowing down of OE?
    thanks
    nanino

6. mobo

mobo

Hang on for a minute as i'll get another program for both OE and messenger.

7. mobo

mobo

Have a look at this .

8. nanino

nanino Thread Starter

thanks motherboard,but that refers to Windows Messenger ,not MSN Messenger and i cant use it.
    What do you think about the renaming of the Msn folder to MsnOld or Msn2,in order to 'disable' the function without running any risk?

9. mobo

mobo

At first I tought you werer running xp for some reason. Anyway I guess I better pay closer attention to reading to posts. Then I discovered that you were running 98. Msn messenger cannot be disabled in 98 according to this article..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!