1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get rid of old computer ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yorkshirelass, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yorkshirelass

yorkshirelass Thread Starter

Hi folks...am new to this site, it looks good tho'. I have two old computers I want to get rid of, but I need to have them totally wiped first.....or do I ?

I know I cannot just take them to the skip, as I'd be open to someone getting hold of my info etc. So.....what do most people do or...what do you all recommend please ?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    open them up - take out the harddrive and put a sledge hammer through them - Or Keep them.. i usually use the hammer - BUT I have also removed and left with clients and where I have had to return the hardware I used to use UBCD 4 windows and also now use
    http://www.dban.org/

so 3 choices

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    these drives also have some pretty good refrigerator magnets inside them. My compass seems to think that my refrigerator is magnetic north. I have about 50 magnets from drives on it.

5. yorkshirelass

yorkshirelass Thread Starter

Just read all your replies...and I had thought of a hammer too !!

Dare not even look at the dban site on this computer unless I accidently delete everything here............so will hook up my old ones to view and delete.

Great response and very well done everyone :):):)

I know where to come now for answers I cannot fathom out.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is what I use for secure erasing of drives along with a LOT of other uses ie recovering data files, etc.
    You can make the bootable CD and run it on the machines in question.
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

7. Hughv

Hughv

You inspired me to count, and I'm chagrined to report I have only 18!

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have had some of them for more than 15 years. From old Seagate 5MB MFM Drives. I learned the hard way do not get pinched between two magnets when playig with them, IT HURTS!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice