1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How to get rid of overscan in LG OLED 65 B7A

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by StevenMal, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

Today I had a new LG OLED 65 B7A set up at home. I've noticed that the picture is cut off at both sides of the screen and that this is known as overscan. Aspect Ratio is set to original and Just Scan is turned On but I'm still seeing that the picture is cut off. Is there anything else I can do to see the entire image on the screen instead of the zoomed in broadcast I'm getting? Thanks.

Here's a webpage with the TV settings available for my model that might be useful.

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w16_mr/atsc/Apps/w...

I have tried using these articles to solve the problem with overscan but have been unsuccessful

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-b7a-oled/settin...

https://www.cnet.com/news/overscan-youre-not-seeing-the...

https://www.howtogeek.com/252193/hdtv-overscan-what-it-...

I also took a look at the manual but it hasn't been helpful to me.

https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B7A#manu...

Currently, overscan is noticeable most during commercials and during the news but I'd still like to fix it. Thanks for any help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just Scan should fix it. Do you have zoom enabled on the TV?

What is the video source? Cable box, computer, media player/Android box? Is it perhaps zoomed or set for the wrong aspect ratio?

If you plug the device to another HDMI port does it do the same thing? Most TV's should have independent settings or each input source.

3. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

The video source is a Samsung cablebox. After watching the news and commercials I'm sure that Just Scan hasn't solved the problem yet. I've been switching through 4:3, 16:9 and "Original" aspect ratios but none of them get rid of overscan. I don't know how to get rid of zoom, but I haven't seen a setting that says zoom is turned on.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What's a Samsung cable? What's at the end of the cable? A cable box, a BluRay Player, a computer? Those devices can also have aspect ratio and zoom functions as well as potentially resolution settings if it's computer or Android type device.

Is there a zoom button on your remote control?

The 31th page of the PDF manual talks about Aspect ratios and zooms and the 18th talks about Live Zoom.

5. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant Samsung cable box. I haven't found a function on the cable box that changes aspect ratio or zoom. I tried using Live Zoom but the full 100% picture, supposedly without any zoom, still cuts out some of the picture on both sides. The Live Zoom is the only zoom function that I've found.

6. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Whats the model of the Samsung cable box? Have you tried another HDMI port on the TV yet? Or another HDMI cable?

8. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

The cable box is a Samsung SMT-C5320. HDMI 1 goes to the cable box. HDMI 2 goes to an Xbox One S. HDMI 3 and HDMI 4 are unused. I'll try to switch HDMI ports but I don't have another HDMI cable to try. It looks securely connected and brand new though.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the Xbox have the same issue? You can swap cables with the xBox as a test.

10. RT

RT

Samsung TV here...not quite sure if this applies to the situation, but I've found that no matter what the aspect ratio or zoom functions, some TV channels simply won't cooperate, in my case it is certain PBS channels...
    I only get two of 'em and both are problematic with chopping off title credits, thus some of the entire show must be missing as well. Noticeable.

It could be it's just a condition of the channel's broadcast protocol, not necessarily a function on your TV.

I don't use over scan, and mostly seems OK, it's just those two channels that have the problem. Rarely I see it on other channels, movies sometimes.
    I blame my cable provider....
    but calling them up would only result in an up sell situation...

As said, may not be helpful, but just an observation.

11. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I have 2 tvs (different brands) that do the same thing (overscan and sometimes underscan) for some channels. I receive the tv signal by an antenna (over the air) so as far as it being specific to cable, antenna or satellite I don't think that is the case.

12. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. That's an interesting observation RT. I haven't watched every single channel I have to check for overscan but all the channels that I do watch suffer from having their picture cut off. I haven't seen it on any of my DVDs. I called LG support and they told me to call Optimum because the problem came from the cablebox, not the TV.

13. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

The Xbox doesn't have this problem. I switched the HDMI cables and still got the cut-off picture from the TV.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It does sound like an issue with the cable box then.

15. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

I spoke to Optimum tech support and the support guy told me to press the "#" button on my remote instead of using an aspect ratio, or "Just Scan" and the "#" button fixed the problem! Thanks for all your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice