1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get rid of windows junk files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hoodoo13, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoodoo13

hoodoo13 Thread Starter

I recently spoke to a tech guy that said my harddrive was maybe full of windows junk files or backup files. I need to get rid of these files. I have a 20gig HD and only have less than 4 gigs left, I do not have over 5 gigs of files,programs on my drive.. From what I understand about these files windows stores everything whether its images, folders, even internet surfing,or whatever . Plese tell me how to delete these files and restore some of my drive space. Thanks one and all!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy hoodoo13 and welcome

I doubt you have 10 gigs of junk stuff but maybe...

start with this...open your control panel click internet options then under Temporary internet files click delete files then under History click Clear History...

you can also download this program which will help clean out your files also
    Spider

Others will come along with more suggestion

buck

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

hoodoo13
    Welcome To TSG!
    Your Tech friend is correct in saying you hard drive may need some cleaning.
    Several thing we can do here.
    Step 1- Go to start\run and type in *.tmp with no space between asterick and period and hit enter.
    Step 2- Anything that shows up in the right pane should have a .tmp extension and can be deleted.
    Step 3- Go to edit up to and click select all
    Step 4- Click the delete button and confirm delete.
    Step 5- Close search
    Step 6- Open windows Explorer and navigate to C:\window\temp file. Open the temp file.
    Step 7- You will see file and folders in there. Anything within any of the folders or the files by themselves that are older than the date you are doing this are eligible for deletion.
    Step 8- Go through and review all for date and delete those that are applicable.
    Step 9- Close Windows Explorer and open Internet Explorer
    Step 10- Click on tools up top and go to Internet options.
    Step 11- Select the delete files tab under temporary files hit enter and select all offline content.
    Step 12- While still there go futher down and click on the delete History tab and enter.
    Step 13- Set you History to 1 day.

By doing the above you have cleaned much of the residual stuff left by windows on your system.

If you want to remove more post back and I will guide you through some orther items.

Keep us posted on how it going.
    Dave

5. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

General housekeeping can include the following:

On C:\ -- delete FILEXXXX.CHK -- these are often created by Scan Disk when your system does not shut down properly.

On C:\Windows\Temp -- delete files (not folders) -- these temp files are system-generated files which are suppose to delete themselves when you properly shutdown your applications. You must first have all programs exited to complete this task.

Optional: if you are not savy about what's installed on your computer or have doubts about what you are doing, I do not recommend these.

Do a find on ~*.* -- these are temp files and can, most likely be deleted.
    Do a find on *.TMP -- same scenario as above

*.HLP are help files
    *.BMP are image files (i.e., wallpaper)
    *.SCR are screensaver files
    *.WAV are sound files
    If you are sure you do not have the need for these, you can pick and choose which to delete.

6. TechChick

TechChick

I agree that it's very unlikely that you have 10GB of "junk". If you post a list of all the programs installed on your computer, that might explain where the space went.

If you have Windows ME installed, the system restore might be taking up a large amount of space (2GB or more). Do you store a lot of pictures or videos on your computer? Do you copy CDs to your hard drive? (Not by ripping them to MP3s, but actually copying all the files?)

7. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Old *.zip files are another good candidate for deletion.</font>

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice