1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get rid off previous OS already installed?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MetalRooster, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MetalRooster

MetalRooster Thread Starter

Hi

I just resetup windows again by using the Windows CD as booter and did the formating and patitioning disk before the setup as usual.

My problem here after everything was set when i first reboot my pc after the reinstallation, i was asked to choose between two the same OS (i.e. Windows XP professional) the one i got from the previous problematic one and the other is the new one.

What i want to know is how do i completely delete the previous OS coz it seems to slow down my new system as well as waste my hard disk space. If i can do that i don't have to choose OS everytime i boot up my PC. It's kinda annoying u know. :(

Help here

2. wilson44512

wilson44512

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well first thing is you partitioned the drive when you installed the new Windows and that is why you are dual booting. What you have got to do is go into the old Windows and backup all of the important data, not the programs just the data to another media like CD-R's or DVD. Do the same with the new installed version of Windows.

Then once this is done you re-install Windows over again and this time repartition the drive into one drive if you want and install Windows into the one single partition. Below are two articles for you on doing these things if you need them, I would suggest printing the articles for reference.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP During an Install.
    http://www.directron.com/formatdrive.html#3

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You definitely didn't do something right on the re-install.

Start > run > Msconfig
    Boot.ini tab
    Check all boot paths.

5. MetalRooster

MetalRooster Thread Starter

Yeah i guess so, u know what guys, i ended up reinstalled it again, the last time i did partitioned it and it was kinda messed up that's why the problem.

This time i did'nt partition during the installation but i did it using Partition Magic after then.

Thanks for ur help, it would be appreciated if anyone could tell me how to fix the problem still coz it's usefull.

:)

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you want to start with a "clean slate" I suggest you do this, and I am ASSUMING (which may be wrong) that you have all your personal files saved to removable media.

Access BIOS and set your boot sequence to; 1st floppy drive, 2nd CD-ROM and 3rd hard drive. If you don't have a floppy drive set the boot sequence to 1st CD-ROM and 2nd Hard Drive.

Go to your hard drive manufacturers site and download their low level format (zero fill) utility. Run the utility and this will overwrite everything on your drive and remove the partitions.

Remove the zero fill utility floppy, and insert the Windows Installation Disk in your CD-ROM.
    Reboot the machine and Windows should boot from the installation disk. Windows will find the hard drive as "new-unformatted", let Windows format the disk. When the installation begins you will have an option to partition the drive if you want a partition. By default Windows will set the drive up as a single partition unless you choose otherwise.

As you know, there will be very little that you physically have to enter during the installation. About 1/3 of the way through the installation you will get an onscreen prompt to "press enter to boot from the CD". When you get this prompt, DO NOT press enter and in a few seconds the machine should reboot itself.

At the end you will have a new complete installation. If you are reinstalling from a manufacturers recovery/reinstalltion disk(s), the disk(s) should install all the motherboard drivers and any other driver that was part of the orignal configuration. If you are using a standard OEM or retail disk you will need to reinstall the motherboard drivers from the disk that came with your motherboard. When you install the motherboard drivers BE SURE to install the INF (chipset driver) driver 1st. The best sequence for installing the other drivers from the motherboard installation disk is; Video driver, Sound or Audio driver, Modem driver, Ethernet adapter driver, etc.

After the drivers are loaded, install and update your antivirus, then go to Windows Updates and install whatever updates you desire.

You will then have to reload any programs you want installed or any personal data that you saved to removable media.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

All I ever do is boot with the CD, Remove the existing partition, create a brand new partition, format it and let the install continue. This has worked 100% of the time for me everytime.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice