1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get to the BIOS jumper on a Gateway laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Closer101, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

Good evening everyone!

I apologize for any inconvenience, but I am in a tough situation. I am pretty well versed in working with desktops, but not laptops to start off.

We have a small private school that does not have much money and/or support. I, a volunteer and the techiest person in the community can normally make the proper fixes and repairs on the computer to keep at least the head administrators up and running. Last night I got a call from one of the heads of the school that he turned his laptop off before dinner and when he went to turn it on, the lights and fan would come on for 10 seconds, then it would go quiet. The power light was still on. I walked him through shutting the computer down and then bringing it back up to no avail.

So today, I have the computer and he was right on. The F8, F2 keys do not work. It turns on, sounds like it will power up and then stops. The power light is on. I thought there may be an issue with the BIOS so I removed the battery (not easy to do) and replaced it. The good news is that when I powered it up...it almost made it to the BIOS start up - it ran almost 30 seconds longer than it did the last time. The bad news is that it flipped out again and went back to the other state. So after I have been babbling, I am trying to figure out how to get to the BIOS jumper, if there is one, on a Gateway computer so I can manually reset it.

I have been through the user manuals, I have torn through the internet to no avail. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you!

2. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

Sorry, I meant on a Gateway laptop

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some Gateways have a jumper on the board that needs to be changed before BIOS setup is available. Are you talking about that one, or one that clears the CMOS? Because if the latter, you don't need it if you can take out the battery, it will lose its memory and reset, anyway, after a while if it has no power. You will need to remove all batteries, of course, including the main one.

4. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

I think so. removing the battery (s) helped, but didn't solve the issue. I have been researching for a few hours now and the consistent message I get is that if you pull the battery and it doesn't work that you have to reset the jumper by removing it from the pins and then resetting it, but I can barely reach the battery so I imagine the jumper is above it and I don't know how to get there. Does that make sense?

By the way - Thank you for your help!

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

This sounds like a general hardware failure due to overheating or something similar.

Not sure why you think accessing the BIOS is an option.

6. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

It could very well be, but based on everything I have been reading all day with people who are having problem similar to this one, this has been fixing it for them. Their symptoms are exactly the same as mine.

I hope to exhaust all avenues - the school does not have the money to buy a new laptop for him right now.

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

Sounds fascinating. Do you have links to any of these articles you've been reading today?

I would like to research on this myself. Thanks.

8. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

Yeah - let me go find them

9. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

Okay, now I am not finding those discussion. The information is completely different and referencing the RAM.

Are there any test or does anyone have experience determining what could be wrong with this laptop? Do you think there may be anyway to save it?

Thank you again for all of your help!

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

If you can't run basic diagnostic software like disk and memory checking, I would recommend a qualified laptop technician, although the diagnosis at this point doesn't look good.

This wasn't a failed BIOS update, was it....

;)

11. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

I'm not quite sure what you are insinuating, this is a Rabbi - a scholarly Rabbi - in a small school, in a small, poor community, who has set himself up to have restricted use of the internet. He is not computer savvy at all and his wife was there when it all happened. I asked him if anything else could have happened and he told me that he shut it down to eat dinner with the family, then when he powered it up...it would power up, then it would boot for about 10 seconds, and then it would stop (not his words, mine...his words related to lights and whirling sounds :))

I never said it was a failed BIOS update as you will see up above.

I did say that I had found some discussions and articles on the web discussing similar problems. The first one was buried in graphic card problems and monitor problems and then a few more showed up. They recommended manually restoring the BIOS and this could be done through two steps - the first was to pull the battery and the second was to try the jumper.

Thank you again for all of your time.

PS - now I am determined to find those discussions :)

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

Should only take a few seconds by going through your browser history.

Shalom.

13. Closer101

Closer101 Thread Starter

You're right it should! HOWEVER... while this was going on, I have a friend that was having problems viewing a website and I deleted my history right before I got on this forum to prove a point. SO.... I need to apologize to you profusely! I was juggling too many things at the same time, I was already frustrated when I posted in here, AND I just wanted a quick answer (the one I wanted :)) to make this issue go away quickly. I should have walked away and came back to it.

I woke up around 4 am this morning thinking "DUH!!!!" (we'll call this a blonde moment and I thank G-d that I am anonymous!) I spent the whole day thinking outside the box and last night I couldn't seem to get back into it - literally!

So, if I reset the BIOS and it still happened, it is obviously not a problem with a BIOS update. Even though it stayed on a few seconds longer just means it took a few more seconds when the BIOS was clear to find the problem :). I removed each stick of RAM individually and reset the BIOS to no avail, the processor doesn't seem to have a burnt spot underneath so it may not be the damaged part. It sounds like the hard drive is working, but without placing it in another computer, there is no way to know. Essentially, I do not have the equipment and resources available to diagnose this computer and I need to pass it back so they can find someone who does, or they can scrap it for a new one.

I am so sorry for wasting your time and I cannot thank you enough for responding to me anyhow!

I hope you have a wonderful day!!!!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice