1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get Win98SE to recog more than 512MB RAM

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by transcul, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. transcul

transcul Thread Starter

Hi
    I've just installed 512MB of RAM on my celeron 700Mhz. I've heard that it's possible to increase RAM memo using ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1. How can I do it? Is it recommended? Does it make it any change/improvement?

:confused:

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you've got 512 Mb of system RAM, total, I'd stay where you're at and don't fight the computer system.

3. greengeek

greengeek

I've tried more than 512MB of RAM on a few Win98SE systems and it never worked properly, always getting error messages about "not enough memory"! I'd say to not waste your money buying more RAM unless you intend to upgrade to XP.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In system.ini under the [vcache] heading. Create the [vcache] section if it doesn't exist.

Mainly games usage:
    minfilecache=65536
    maxfilecache=65536
    You can try lower but a gain is unlikely (increase/decrease in steps of 2048).

Mixed usage:
    No MinFileCache (or try minfilecache=65536)
    maxfilecache=393216

More than 512mb RAM:
    No MinFileCache
    maxfilecache=522240

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

John:

As a FYI

All the sites that offer advice in regard to the file cache, are based on Windows 95 knowledge. Win95 had a bad flaw in handling the cache that resulted in the swapfile being used, instead of the cache being reduced. As result, there are recommendations to use cache parameters.

But, this area was completely rewritten on Windows 98, and there is no reason to limit the cache, with the exception of systems with more than 512MBs installed.

BTW the parameters above using Min create a dedicated cache that can ONLY be used for the file cache. So, if Windows needs ram for some a running app and none is available, it's only option is to start paging. Without the parameters, it's first option is to shrink the cache. In addition, if Windows is not using all of the cache, and more memory is required, it will also start paging.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Transcul:

Click Start - Run, type in SYSEDIT, then click OK. Bring the SYSTEM.INI file to the front, then scroll down to the [386enh] section. At the bottom of the list of commands in this section, type in:

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

Click File - Save - File - Exit, then reboot.

Forget about any MinFileCache, MaxFileCache, or ChunkSize values under [vcache]. Just leave it blank.

512 MB is p-l-e-n-t-y of RAM for Windows 98. There's no performance value gained by adding more.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its not that Windows 98 doesn't recognises more than 512Mb of RAM, its just that it has some issues with it. The above is the solution. There are also problems with W98, onboard video, and more than 512MB(or was it even 1GB) of RAM - I don't the solution or even if it applies to all chips.

However, in MY experience there is little-to no benefit of adding more then 512MB on a Win9X based systems - but thats only my experience.

8. JohnWill

The reason for limiting the cache would be if you have a dual boot system with some other O/S and want to also boot it to W98.

9. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
  10. WhitPhil

I don't understand! The cache is only active when Win98 is running.

pyritechips
    The problem is based on the individual hardware config. For example, I "think" that if you were to install the lastest and greatest graphics card, you would run into problems.

11. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    That could be Phil. I am running an old 8 MB ATI video card.:confused:

12. JohnWill

DUH! When you boot to W98, it is running! :rolleyes:

13. WhitPhil

Duh! Your original post stated that the reason you would want to limit the cache would be if you were running a dual boot system.

I still don't understand what the relationship is between the dual boot system and the file cache.

14. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG.

The ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 System.ini entry just reduces hard drive activity if you aren’t using the swap file. It doesn’t speed the computer or make Win98 accept more RAM. It is usually a good idea with 512Mb of RAM since you likely aren’t using the swap file.

The 512Mb limitation is usually the MB. Win98/SE will take a Gig of RAM. There are sometimes problems with running out of memory addresses over 512Mb and it is a good idea to limit the vcache to just under 512 if you go over that. My guess is that a board that came with a 700 Celeron isn’t likely to take over 512Mb of RAM though.

Your post isn’t completely clear. If you think the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 entry will somehow increase your RAM without adding any you have misunderstood the information. If you are planning to add more than 512Mb of physical RAM first check your MB will take it.

15. JohnWill

I'll try to talk slow. If you have a system with more than 512mb of RAM, and you want to have a dual boot with W98, say for some application or game that won't run with a newer O/S, then when you boot the W98 configuration, you'll need to set the VCACHE limitation. I was agreeing that if you were only running W98, there probably wouldn't be a reason to equip the system with the additional RAM in the first place. Remember, we were talking about getting W98 to run with more than 512mb, and the comment was made that you'd probably have little use for additional RAM with W98 anyway.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice