1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to get Win98SE to recog more than 512MB RAM

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by transcul, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Well, what you say makes sense.

But whether you are dual booting or not, if you have more than 512 installed you need to constrain vcache.

In my first response above I addressed a comment to you that said "But, this area was completely rewritten on Windows 98, and there is no reason to limit the cache, with the exception of systems with more than 512MBs installed."

To which you replied "The reason for limiting the cache would be if you have a dual boot system with some other O/S and want to also boot it to W98"

In this context, I asked for clarification on the dual boot statement since my first post had already addressed the 512MB case.

So, even though your last post makes sense, the dual boot environment is irrelevant. (unless you talk even slower).

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When I think about it, you're right. My point was that if you had a system that had more than 512mb and wanted a dual-boot, you'd need to adjust the cache maximum. The reason for having more than 512mb was because you had an O/S that could actually use it.

I think we've beaten this horse to death, and then some. :)

3. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice