1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to go in Safe Mode on Windows XP2?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nineleven, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nineleven

Nineleven Thread Starter

Is it F8, F9, or F10? I cant remember....

And what are the steps to get there?

I used to be able to go in Safe Mode all the time, but now having trouble...i dunno...help :confused:

2. Nineleven

Nineleven Thread Starter

anyone?

3. Augie65

Augie65

Try Tapping F8 before windows splash screen. With the arrow keys select safe mode and hit enter.

4. mi6recon

mi6recon

yep it's F8

5. simelwill

simelwill

Not always depends - mine is F1 to get into safe mode

6. steven1350

steven1350

What windows are you running? Ever since I first entered safe mode (win98) it has always been F8. I have never heard of using F1. Are you sure that you arent going to your bios?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

My last 3 Asus boards have been F5. It is all in what the bios is programmed for. You would think that the major players could at least agree on certain things like "delete to enter setup" and "F8 to enter safe mode". Maybe even "F5 for boot menu"?

No way, they all gotta be different. :p

8. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Safe mode is a function of the OS not the mobo - F8

9. simelwill

simelwill

its all to do with your mb just try each 1 and they are all for safe mode it has nothing to do with windows

10. simelwill

simelwill

correct - but it has to do with the mobo as mine is f1 to enter safe mode and others are different also

11. kniht

kniht

I got tired of tapping the F1 key at the right time to get into safe mode, (plus sometimes I couldn't remember which key to tap), so I added "Safe Mode" to my boot.ini. This involves editing the boot.ini, so if you don't feel comfortable editing the boot.ini, don't. If you do edit this file, make a backup copy of the original boot.ini in case something goes wrong.

My original boot.ini reflected the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

My modified boot.ini now reflects the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition safemode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

By adding the line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition safemode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

to the original boot.ini, each time I boot up a boot screen appears allowing me to use the up and down arrow keys to either enter XP Home or Safe Mode. Makes life a little easier.

No more tapping keys at the right time, or having to remember which key to tap!

12. kniht

kniht

I got tired of tapping the F1 key at the right time to get into safe mode, (plus sometimes I couldn't remember which key to tap), so I added "Safe Mode" to my boot.ini. This involves editing the boot.ini, so if you don't feel comfortable editing the boot.ini, don't. If you do edit this file, make a backup copy of the original boot.ini in case something goes wrong. Editing can be done with Notepad, I use Metapad.

My original boot.ini reflected the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]

My modified boot.ini now reflects the following:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    [operating systems]

By adding the line:

to the original boot.ini, each time I boot up a boot screen appears allowing me to use the up and down arrow keys to either enter XP Home or Safe Mode. Makes life a little easier.

No more tapping keys at the right time, or having to remember which key to tap!

13. kniht

kniht

Sorry, don't know how I got 2 posts here, tapping too many keys again I guess.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475313