How to have to audio outputs when using laptop and monitor

notsam98

Hi,
I have recently started plugging my laptop into a monitor via a HDMI lead, to play games. The monitors speakers aren't great so I use some external speakers to play sound through. When in playing games however, I would like the games volume to come out of the speakers and any videos I'm watching on my laptop to output the sound through my laptop. Does anyone know how I can achieve this?

Last edited:

Tanis

Shane
Hi and welcome to TSG.

First thing to look at is to identify if you laptop has more than one audio device. In the example from my desktop below you can see I have the Realtek Digital Audio Output and VP279 (NVidia High Definition Audio). The VP279 is the HDMI audio running to my monitor.

1620218537304.png

Assuming you do have something like this you will need to manually change the audio output device for games and whatever app etc you are using for videos. This should be accessible through the Game or Apps audio settings.

notsam98

Hi and welcome to TSG.

First thing to look at is to identify if you laptop has more than one audio device. In the example from my desktop below you can see I have the Realtek Digital Audio Output and VP279 (NVidia High Definition Audio). The VP279 is the HDMI audio running to my monitor.

View attachment 287404

Assuming you do have something like this you will need to manually change the audio output device for games and whatever app etc you are using for videos. This should be accessible through the Game or Apps audio settings.
Thank you, I will try this :)

Hi and welcome to TSG.

View attachment 287404

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic,
but you sound like you know what you’re talking about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online