How to have Windows XP secure in 2020?

jumpdeckya0989

Hi guys, I want to know your opinions about this issue, it is known that for a long time this version of Windows doesn't t have support anymore but there are lovers of it like me who want to know how to keep it secure nowaday.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
You could virtualize it and run the guest on a host OS while blocking access to the Internet.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I still run Windows XP SP3 (integrated with security updates to May 2019) in my Dell OptiPlex 980 minitower.
There are a very small number of browsers and security apps that still support it, so I occasionally use it on-line in relative safety.
I do NOT store personal and sensitive data in it, and I do NOT do banking or make credit card purchases with it.
For normal every day use on-line, I stick with Windows 7 SP1 (integrated with security updates to October 2020) and Windows 10.

-------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
Disconnect it from the internet. You can still use the programs you want, just don't use it to surf.

Johnny b

John
Disconnect it from the internet. You can still use the programs you want, just don't use it to surf.

Indeed.
An older computer in good operating condition, used offline, makes for an inexpensive and secure means of compiling family and financial data.
I've had such a setup starting with win 98se 'back in the day'.
I currently use a slightly 'newer' ( :D ) computer with Win 7 for those tasks.

Hi guys, I want to know your opinions about this issue, it is known that for a long time this version of Windows doesn't t have support anymore but there are lovers of it like me who want to know how to keep it secure nowaday.
Been using XP Pro for over three years now, with zero malware infections, unless you want to nitpick the three PUPs I got from installing software from majorgeeks, softpedia, etc., and I don't count that. I run Malwarebytes Free, Superantispyware, Agnitum Outpost Firewall 2009, Adwcleaner, and a network/port monitor. That is the sum total of my security software. The real secret lies in using a wired-only (i.e. no wifi capability) router with SPI & NAT hardware firewall. Do that and you're pretty much assured your OS is bulletproof, if it is setup by a pro.

That said, I still don't use XP for online shopping/banking. That is what a Linux Mint LiveCd is for. Better safe than sorry.

Johnny b

John
I also like the Live Linux concept.
I started out with a Live CD, progressed to a Live DVD and currently boot Puppy from a usb flash drive with a write switch.
I use it exclusively for all my Internet activities.

But even for off-line work, the equipment eventually gets old and needs replacement.
I recently retired my Win 7 computer and replaced it with a much newer one running Win 10, but it will never be connected to a network let alone the Internet.

Personally, I'm more focused on what apps will run on an OS and how durable the OS is over time.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG

This is what's in the folder for my Dell OptiPlex 980 which runs Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit and has these specs:
Intel Core i7-860 2.80 GHz quad processor
16 GB of DDR3-1333 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2 GB graphics card
Western Digital 1 TB SATA hard disk drive
Lite-On SATA DVD+/-RW disc drive

Unzip app for extracting the contents of compressed files.
Disc burning app for burning CD's and DVD's.
All needed device drivers for this Dell.
Browser for going on-line and visiting websites.
Media app for opening and editing photos.
Security app for removing any threats.
(3.5.1.2522 is the most current supported version)
Maintenance app which has many uses.
(5.64.7577 is the most current supported version)
Security app for removing any threats.
Maintenance app for removing temp files.
Media app for opening and playing music and videos.
Patch which allows more than 4 GB of RAM to be detected and used.

------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
XP & online buying.
I have a 'dedicated' debit card account with a limited amount of $$ in it.
I have to (occaisionally) add to it to cover purchase prices.
Never more than $150-$200 (unless I want something expensive!!)
Debit cards = the bank will NOT release more than the maximum amount in the 'backing' account. EVER.
Above scenario, most to lose = $200 (I use Union Bank, they said if I was ripped off, they would cover the loss, effectively, covering any loss to me)
I am still careful about where I buy on line.
(Backing account is a seperate savings account with a debit card attached)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online