1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to hook up power cables properly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raderick, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raderick

Raderick Thread Starter

I'm trying to hook up a 2nd hard drive to my computer. I hooked it up (or I thought I did) and then now it would only recognize the one I just hooked up but not the other I had already. I unhooked the cord that goes to the fan on the door and did some other stuff, and now my computer won't recognize any of my hard drives or my CD/DVD drives.

Can someone give me easy instructions for me to properly hook up the power cables inside my computer?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It may not be the power cables. Hooking up the power cables is truly as simple as plugging them in.

Check the data cables, because they're far more likely to be the issue here.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Are these ide drives or sata? Or external drives? If internal did you jumper one master and the other slave if ide?

4. Raderick

Raderick Thread Starter

I have a 120GB and a 320GB, both run a IDE ATA 100 because my mobo doesn't have any SATA atapters. The 120GB is about 3-4 years old and I just bought my 320GB on Friday. I'm not at my computer right now, but I saw white and black cords, and two black cords had "fan only" written on them. I remember two black cords went into the CD drives while I only remember the 120GB drive had a white cord. I also have two fans on the back, one fan on my mobo, I believe I have a fan that runs near the front and one fan on the door of the computer.

My new HD came with a new master/slave jumper so I really don't think that is the problem, but just with the power cables. I unhooked the power cable on the 120 to the 320, unhooked one other cable to give to the 120, and it would only see the 320. I unhooked another cable to see if maybe that helped but at that point the computer didn't recognize none of my CD or HD drives.

5. brite750

brite750

[

what does this mean?, you have to put the jumper in the right postition, you main hdd the one with the os has to be on the end of the cable set to master, the spare hdd on the middle connector set to slave, BTW I dont use CS unless i have to

6. frankjohn

frankjohn

Hook up your 120 as master leave your 320 gb dis connected .like brite750 says 120 as master-- power up and check to see if everthing is ok then set your 320 to slave connect cable and power re boot. Do all this with power off .

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

Use the ribbon that the 120 is connect to the ribbon should have connection in the middle -use that to connect your 320

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/599144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice