1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to identify and delete correct partitions in a linux/linux dual boot

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Stiabhan, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiabhan

Stiabhan Thread Starter

Hello, linux newbie here. I have a dual boot of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Mepis 11.0 (I think?). Not going to be using that laptop anymore and want to put the drive into an external usb shell. Want to keep the Ubuntu, but delete the Mepis partitions to make room for use as a backup storage external drive. In gparted or any of the other partitioning programs, how do I figure out which partitions belong to which OS, so on and so forth. I don't want to guess and delete the wrong partition, naturally. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Best way is by name if you named the partitions. Second best would be by size if they are different sizes. Or by format if different formats. Or by space used/free if you know that.

If you are not going to use the computer any more why keep the OS?

3. DVOM

DVOM

When you start GParted from within one of your OSs, the parititon the active OS is on will be mounted (locked) while the other OS partition won't.

4. saikee

saikee

Post the terminal output of
    (1)" sudo fdisk -l" or in root "fdisk -l"
    and
    (2) "cat //boot/grub/grub.cfg" or "cat //boot/grub/menu.lst"of the distro you want to keep
    then we can take you by the hand.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Just want to add that my post was on the assumption that you were not going to boot to either of those OSes again. If you do, then I like the posts from DVOM and saikee better than mine. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046470