1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to improve the quality of flv video file?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Newguyontheforum, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newguyontheforum

Newguyontheforum Thread Starter

Hi, guys. I'm looking for some explanations. My main question is how to improve the quality of flv video file.

Can I use flv converter 7 for that? I saw several options there:
    - video window (that can vary from 400x300 to 768x576 pixels);
    - video bitrate (that vary from 96 to 1200 Kbps);
    - video frame rate (that vary from 8 to 30 fps).
    How to use these options to make a quality of the flv video better? For example, is the quality of the video better if the video is 768x576 pixel than if it is 400x300 pixels? Is the quality of the video better if video bitrate is 1200 Kbps than if it is 96 Kpbs? Is it better if frame rate is 30 than if it is 8 fps?

Thank you for your explanations and your time.

2. TheITMonkey

TheITMonkey

I have never used FLV Converter but I do make and edit alot of videos so I can help you out with general settings you can use.

First off the Overall quality of the converted file not only depends on the settings you use to convert but also the quality of the source (original) video file you use.

If your looking for the best quality settings I would match the source video size, and frame rate, which is generally 30fps, but both should be an option in your converter as for bitrate 1200kbps is around standard definition but if you can go higher I would recommend 4000-12000kbps (Higher Bitrate = Better Quality)

3. Newguyontheforum

Your experiences are welcomed.
    Yes, I understand that the quality of the converted file depends on the settings used for conversion as well as on the quality of the source (original) video file, but the source is just the way it is.
    Do you try to say that first thing I should do is to find the video size and frame rate of the original video? How can I find that out? I used right click and option properties, but didn’t find the information that way.
    When I find this information, should the frame rate be the same as the frame rate of source or higher?
    What about the “video window” (I think it’s the resolution)? Should it be 400x300 or as higher as possible?

4. TheITMonkey

TheITMonkey

Usually clicking on the properties of a video and going to the details tab (Picture attached), should give you the Frame Width/Height (Video Window), Frame Rate & Bitrate, If it doesn't show you can use this free tool to check the properties of the video http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Once installed click file > open then navigate to the video you want to convert to view the properties (pic attached)

Generally the frame rate should be the same as source, because it can cause playback issues (although Ive never had any problems changing frame rate but to be safe I would stick with source fps)

It all depends if the video is widescreen or not so it can be a difficult choice if you cannot see the video properties but that tool i posted above should help you out. What I do if I want to change the video width and height is usually half it from source for example : Source Video : Width : 1600 Height : 900 Frame Rate : 60fps - Converted Video Width : 800 Height : 450 Frame Rate : 60fps.

But if you want the best possible quality stick to the source video settings.

Attached Files:

5. Newguyontheforum

Before you sent me your reply, I had tried something different: I used “Media Cope” for the same goal. What I did was to open the file and than convert it in “very high” quality. The quality is better, but the size is about ten times larger than the original video (the source is 162MB and after conversion it is more than 1GB!). Picture is better, but can I do anything with the size?

I installed the software you recommend and opened it. In “first video stream” I saw this: 231Kbps, 320*240 (4:3), at 29970fps. Does 320*240 (4:3) means 400x300 pixels? And does it mean I should choose 400x300 in “video window” option?

You said you edited a lot of videos. What do you do to make the quality of the videos better?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice