1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How to initialize a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geno368, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I bought a new 1TB platter hard drive and went into disk management to initialize it and get a drive letter. It showed the drive with a number.
    It shows unallocated ...when I r/click on it it only has 2 options.: convert to dynamic disk and convert to MBR disk .
    When I right click on the right side it has the option to "new simple volume"

I want it as a data and program disk, not boot disk. Help would be appreciated.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    In Disk Management, have you selected "New simple volume" and then assigned a driver letter to that new hard drive and then formatted it in NTFS?

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

That is what I thought, just needed verification. I am replacing a 500gb hard drive which has programs and data on it. Testing shows that it is going bad so I need to clone the old drive or copy everything over. Any suggestions on what to use?
    Thanks very much.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you are going to clone a drive, you do not want anything on the new drive ie no partition info, no formatting, nothing. Just install the drive like it comes out of the box. I use and recommend acronis true image for all imaging, cloning, etc.
    I always do all imaging/restoring/cloning from the boot usb rather than from within windows.
    Note if one of your drives is a WD, you can download the WD version of acronis for free.

5. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I have already formatted it with a usb external drive reader. The new drive is a WD blue..How to I remove what I have done?
    Please explain "I always do all imaging/restoring/cloning from the boot usb rather than from within windows."
    Thank you.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just delete the partition in disk management. That will leave the drive as unallocated for cloning.
    Just exactly what it says. The acronis program will make a bootable usb or cd as a recovery disk. I use this for all acronis needs. In fact, I do not even have acronis installed; I do everything from the boot usb.
    Since you have a WD drive, you can go to the WD site and download the free version of acronis. Up to you if you want to clone from within windows. I do not however many people do and works either way.

7. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the help..I would like to leave the topic open for a little while in case I have difficulty. I have made the dvd and need to study the instructions before I start this endeavor

8. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

All is fixed and running smoothly...Kudos to you crjdriver!

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. You an mark your own thread as solved using the button at the upper left; no need for this one, I will mark it for you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice