1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to install from .7z archive???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zapp22, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

Gang
    I'm quite the noob to windows 7. I'm outfitting a system and thought i would install vlc media player which I've used well on several xp systems. so, I read a few notes and decided to install from the Archive version which is a lot smaller than the self install. I was surprised that Windows 7 did not know what to do with that type of file.
    So I downloaded a compression utility, extracted all the files. I thought it would be obvious as to how to install, but I wuz wrong, at least for me....

Can someone give me the quick education on this topic?

thx
    z

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The 7zip version is a standalone application.
    It doesn't require installation.
    Open the folder to get to the files and run vlc.exe.

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

hmm... i did that and it wasn't coherent. am I supposed to park all those dll's and stuff somewhere importan?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

"it wasn't coherent" What does that mean? You couldn't run the executable? You got an error? What happened?

5. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

Hit the executable "vlc.exe", it opens to the main player window, then I punched up the file-open-play menu, selected the DVD drive which has a sample movie in it, and hit play. The player bails out with an error [because it is not setup... its just sitting in a holding area with all its folders and .dll's and such]. I didn't/don't think that merely unzipping the archive to a temp folder would accomplish a Win7 "install".

But, I was also quite puzzled that Win7 does not, or did not, have built in to it an archive application... so I had to go fetch one, load it, then deal with the archive.
    Is there any reason to NOT use a qualified windows installer for such a thing? [their competitors do]

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Click tools/preferences from the vlc menu and make
    sure the settings are set the way you need them.
    Then save.

They use 7zip because it is free so it doesn't add
    unnecessary expense to a free program.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice