1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to install two CD drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crawdad, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crawdad

crawdad Thread Starter

Hello all, I am in the process of building my first computer and I’m running into a small problem. I have two drives that I am installing and I can install them both separately no problem, they work fine. However, as soon as I plug in the second one the machine only sees one drive. In other words, although both drives are plugged in, if I go under my computer there is only one drive visible. I’m not really sure how to make the system see both drives simultaneously. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you got them both on the same IDE cable and have you got them set to slave/master correctly

3. crawdad

crawdad Thread Starter

First, thanks for your response.

Yes, they are on the same IDE cable. I think I have the master/slave set up correctly. I have the first IDE connector coming off the MB connected to the drive I want to be slave and the second connector on the master. I did notice that if I right click the Drive in my computer and click 'eject' that both drives open up. This is the first time Ive done this so Im sure its something simple that Im just missing.

Thanks again

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. n2gun

n2gun

If you are putting them on the same cable, put the master at the end of the cable and the slave on the plug below it.(in the middle). A second option is the put your master on the 1st ide channel as master and then put a cable in for the 2nd ide channel and set the second drive to master and place it at the end of that cable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice