1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to install Win 98 after Win 2000 installed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by refisheraz, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. refisheraz

refisheraz Thread Starter

Win 2000 is installed twice. Tried to install Win 98 w/Bootdisk.com downloaded disk, system states, "Not enough disk space." Tried to format hard drive, can't. PC bought 2nd hand no original OS disks. Thanks.

2. ErmLinux

ErmLinux

My best advice is to get hold of partition magic 7, which allows you to delete the partition and create a new fat 16 partition.
    First you get PM7 and install it on alternative PC that contains any Windows OS, and then you create an emergency disk (2X). Using the emergency disk made you can start and follow the wizard.

3. Hairy

Hairy

before you wipe out that hard drive, go to device manager and find out exactly what hardware is in it so that you can get Windows 98 drivers for everything.

when you boot up with your floppy, type <B>fdisk</B>
    click "Y" to enable large disk support
    select option 4 to display information......what's it say?

I'd suspect they're NTFS and to get rid of that you'll have to remove non-dos partitions, then recreate Fat 32 partitions (you don't want FAt16)

4. refisheraz

Okay, I did fdisk. Now it will not load windows system states, missing OS. I guess FAT32 is needed. So how do I recreate Fat32?thnx

5. Hairy

Hairy

got a little ahead there, but all will be well

what exactly did you do in fdisk?
    does it show your entire hard drive?

6. refisheraz

The directory for c: indicated only about 2.5 meg of free memory on a 6 gig drive. I did Fdisk opt #3, Y for large ...then (I think) non-logical something. Afterwards I tried to reboot with disk.

7. Hairy

Hairy

let's start over........

you have a 6 gig hard drive?

fdisk / display partition information tells you what?

forget memory...nothing to do with what we're after

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice