1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Install Win 98 over XP in a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by asknknow, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asknknow

asknknow Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    I need to install Win 98 over already installed Win XP. Please guide me to do it succesfully.
    Here are the details of my current situation:
    * Present OS : Windows XP(Installed on C Drive)
    * Available Partitions : C and D(Both FAT32)
    * NO FLOPPY DRIVE AVAILABLE. ONLY A CD DRIVE IS AVAILABLE
    * I Intend to install Win 98 on formatted D Drive

1. How do i create a book disk on CD and use it to install Win 98?

2. Will i be able to dual boot after i install 98 over XP?

Please reply me with ur valuable suggestions as soon as possible.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You cannot "downgrade" and install Windows 98 over Windows XP.

If you have the hard drive set in 2 partitions and want to install Windows 98 in one partition and Windows XP in the other partition, I believe that Windows 98 has to be installed first.

What operating system came in that computer? I see problems with it not having a floppy drive.

------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I've never used a computer with 2 operating systems in separate partitions, so someone else more knowledgeable may have a more valid answer for you.

3. asknknow

asknknow Thread Starter

Thanks for ur reply.
    Its an Acer Aspire Laptop that came with Win XP. Now i have few educational CD's which will run only in 98 or 95. So i am trying to install 98 now.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm currently on one of my 98SE computers and am doing this from memory, so I may not be right.

Right-click the program's shortcut, then click Properties. There should be a tab that allows you to select a different operating system to run the program, instead of using XP.

If those educational CD's will only run on 95 and 98, they might be pretty outdated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice