How to install windows 10 on a windows 8 laptop For free?

Alan491845

Hi folks,my son has given me an old HP laptop that is running a genuine copy of windows 8,I would like to run it with windows 10,could anyone tell me the easiest way to do that if possible please.
I'm not sure where the serial key for microsoft 8 is if I need to look for that or even if I will need to enter that when installing windows 10.
Laptop has 4gb of ram

Any advice greatly appreciated,I would like to do this without having to pay for Windows 10

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Alan:

What is the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on that HP laptop?

It needs to be correctly identified and its support site needs to be located so we can confirm what hardware and operating system came in it and if Windows 10 drivers are available for its primary devices.

-------------------------------------------------

Alan491845

Alan:

What is the exact product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on that HP laptop?

It needs to be correctly identified and its support site needs to be located so we can confirm what hardware and operating system came in it and if Windows 10 drivers are available for its primary devices.

-------------------------------------------------
Thanks,is there any easy way to find that info?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks,is there any easy way to find that info?
Typically it will be on a label on the bottom of the laptop. Sometimes it may be under the battery.

You can get the serial number by going to command prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter. It should give you a 8-10 digit alphanumeric code.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The serial number will give us specific information on your computer.

Having said that, downloading the Media Creation Tool should allow you to upgrade the computer to Windows 10. You would want to do the upgrade first so the computer has a digital license so that way if you need to do a full clean install, Microsoft will recognize the computer and relicense it.

Alan491845

The serial number will give us specific information on your computer.

Having said that, downloading the Media Creation Tool should allow you to upgrade the computer to Windows 10. You would want to do the upgrade first so the computer has a digital license so that way if you need to do a full clean install, Microsoft will recognize the computer and relicense it.
Hi thanks,I downloaded it to a usb from that creation page and it's now working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online