1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to install windows recovery software(on floppy)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by creole, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. creole

creole Thread Starter

I downloaded FILERECOVERY for Windows on to floppy disk, but don't know how to install it.When I put it into laptop, nothing happens.The disk does not boot automatically.Help!Is there a specific procedure to install and run floppy?I not know.

Merci
    Bon Christmas!

2. deanas

deanas

Hi:
    I've never used that program, but I
    assume you need to use windows
    startup disk to start dos and then
    put your floppy for the program in
    and start it. Look for a file in the
    program with an extension of txt
    or doc which should explain this.

3. creole

creole Thread Starter

I have a file recovery disk for Windows 98 but can't load onto laptop.When I put the disk in, nothing happens, it doesn't load.I'm missing the gdi.exe. file, which won't open windows for me, so I'm trying to fix this.I don't have windows startup cd, just what's on the laptop.I don't have ANY cd's.Windows 98 was working fine, until I tried to delete some files to free up memory.STUPID!Help, please.

merci
    bon christmas!

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I assume you can boot to Windows. If not do this in Safe Mode (tap F8 once per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted)

Cure Your Ills With the System File Checker
    Windows 98

When you're having trouble with Windows 98--and who doesn't at some point--you might want to try a little-known utility called the System File Checker. Close all open programs and go to Run in the Start menu. Type sfc and click OK.
    Check the Scan For Altered Files radio button and click Start. SFC will look for files that have been corrupted. If it finds any, you can use it to extract clean versions of the files directly from your installation disk.

Or

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

[email protected]

5. creole

creole Thread Starter

I tried to run recovery disk in safe mode in windows.I still get the "gdi.exe.,reload windows"error
    Should the recovery disk just start to run by itself?I put it in, and I get"error reading disk,remove disk and insert another.When I take disk out, windows starts until I get the gdi.exe. error,and shuts down.The recovery disk should start by itself when I put it into laptop, or is there some dos prompt I can use to start to run recovery disk?It'scalled RECOVERY for WINDOWS, in which I downloaded from downloads.com.It did not say how to run the disk, though.
    Merci
    bon christmas!

6. ratchet

ratchet

Creole,
    Is it possible that you need a bootable disk, go to control panel, setup , create a startup disk, then down load recovery program
    on the same disk.

7. creole

creole Thread Starter

I need to run a recovery disk on my laptop because I accidentally deleted some files.The computer comes on.but will not boot to windows, gives me a "gdi.exe. missing,reload windows" error, and turns the computer off.Don't have boot disk, or any backup cd's at all.Only whats on computer.It has been suggested that I go to control panel,download bootdisk,etc. BUT THE COMPUTER SHUTS OFF AND WON'T LET ME INTO WINDOWS TO DO ANY OF THIS.The computer will let me get to the startup options, like safe mode and all that,when you enter 3 to open in windows safe mode.I DO THIS,BUT THE COMPUTER GIVES ME THE AFFORMENTIONED ERROR GDI.EXE.,THEN SHUTS OFF COMPLETELY.Is there some way to do this in dos, or run the floppy using DOS commands?The computer won't run the disk with the recovery program on it.I'M COMPLETELY SHUT OUT OF WINDOWS.
    merci

8. ratchet

ratchet

Hey Creole,
    Did you create a start up disk, then down load your recovery program. That will start your recovery program in DOS.
    If your boot sequence is not A,.... it will not work also.

9. ratchet

ratchet

Hey Creole,
    Go to start/setting/control panel/add remove programs/startup disk, then download your program on this bootable disk.
    If it still won't boot, check boot sequence in setup.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

creole, I have merged your two threads since they deal with the same topic. Please continue to reply to this thread rather than starting a new one.

11. creole

creole Thread Starter

I,ve been getting suggestions on how to run this recovery disk on my laptop.The only problem is that I have no access to windows 98,as I have deleted the gdi.exe. file, which SHUTS ME OUT OF WINDOWS COMPLETELY.I would like to know how I can run the recovery disk,or what commands I can use to activate the disk.I can't get to control panel or any of the other controls on windows AT ALL.Is there some way to do this in DOS?Why can't the disk just run when I put it into the A drive?I appreciate the posts, but I'm being instructed to use devices in which I CAN'T GET TOO.
    Are there DOS prompts for theses devices?
    COMPLETELY LOST

Thanks

12. ratchet

ratchet

Creole,
    I am assuming that you have access to another computer.
    Find a computer with the same OS as your laptop, 98, 98SE....
    Create a bootable disk, (startup disk) in contorl panel,
    then down load recovery programs you are trying to run on that same disk.
    Insert the disk then attempt to boot. If you boot sequence is correct it should work.

13. creole

creole Thread Starter

CREOLE AGAIN,

Ratchet suggested that I load recovery disk onto boot disk.Did this, but still can't run disk.Is there dos commands to run the boot disk?When I put disk in, the computer gives me a error stating it can not read disk, put in another disk.I've never used a boot disk before.

Thanks

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

creole, please respond to the same thread (hit the reply button) so everyone who is trying to help you knows what you've tried.....please don't open a new thread......

15. ratchet

ratchet

Creole,
    Is your lap top booting, testing memory, do you see, hit delete to enter setup?
    I'm hoping you can get that far, I'm going to go into setup and write down the exact steps.

Press delete to enter set up.
    you will see" ROM PCI....
    CMOS SETUP UTILITY"
    arrow down to(BIOS FEATURE SETUP)
    Press; ENTER
    arrow down to(BOOT SEQUENCE)
    press page down until boot sequence is A,C,SCSI.
    Then press Escape, F10= Save & Exit setup y/n, press y then enter.
    Then your system will reboot and boot A drive first.

Go to botom of this thread and hit post reply to respond, don't start a new thread.
    I'll check back after a while.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice