1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to install without windows 98 setup cd?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chebber, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chebber

chebber Thread Starter

I only have the recover disk that came with my computer; no setup disk. Is there a way to use the recovery disk files, ie: is the setup script somewhere that could be downloaded and run somehow? I could kick myself; I formatted my hard drive and didn't realize that I couldn't install with only the recovery disk. I be stupid! :confused:

2. ratchet

ratchet

What is the make and model # of your Computer?
    What Operating system did you have?

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

we at techsupport cannot tell you how to hack or violate laws.
    do you have a valid windows 98 cd key? if so i have simple instructions.

4. chebber

chebber Thread Starter

Good people, I would not ask for anything illegal on these forums!

I have the authenticity code for my software. The problem is, when Windows 98 comes pre-installed on a computer, you don't get the Windows 98 setup cd; you get a "recovery cd", which does not contain the setup.exe command files.

In my case, my computer is a NEC Ready 9905. I have a bootable floppy, in fact, I have the "ultimate boot disk" that a forum here pointed me to, and my cd is working. I can get into dos.

I am a novice at this; I know enough to be dangerous (to myself!).

5. chebber

chebber Thread Starter

I would like to add that I am grateful for the help that is provided here.

Also, I can see the WIN98.dir on my recovery cd, but without knowing how to run setup, it's worthless to me.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is obviously too late now to tell you that you should have insisted on getting a proper CD. However, since you do have a proper licence and the Key, Microsoft will send you a CD, free of charge.

7. junker39

junker39

I could not find anything specific on your 9905 but, the NECs Recovery disks do have the OS on them. Try setting your BIOS to boot from CD first and see if the Recovery program starts up when you boot. (make sure the cd is in the drive.LOL) And the floppy is not. I had a very bad experience with a HP and Recovery. It seems the BIOS or CMOS has something loaded from the factory that allows the Recovery disk to run. When that gets screwed up, no amount of shortcuts or work arounds are gonna let the disks run.

8. chebber

chebber Thread Starter

You folks are awesome. I will try changing the BIOS, and if all else fails, will contact Microsoft for the actual cd (I may do that no matter what). I bought this computer at BEst Buy, and did ask 'where is my system cd?'. They told me it was on the recovery cd!

We actually have 3 computers in our house, all working, and not one of them came with the actual system cd. They all have the mfg version of a recovery disk. Mine is a NEC, we also have a Gateway and a HP. My husband recently bought a HP laptop, and it didn't come with the actual OS disk, either.

Bill Gates' name is invoked in our house quite often, BTW, and not in a pleasant manner! LOL

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

if you have a product id key, like the one i'm about to post (dont worry guys its not even valid or atleast i hope not since i just made it up) Product Key (on certificate of authenticity) QSDE2-SDFAS-D4ASD-QERD6-7OIUH.
    That means you are in luck. Just go grab a friends win98 cd and i'll tell you where to go from there (dont worry u wont need to keep his cd, you can just copy it but i'll tell u the right way to do this).

ps best buy is gay, i got an hp with xp on it just to find there was no cd. but i know a secret for installin xp just like the secret for win98.
    if you have ms and gates so much try switching to LINUX. I really love it its great.

10. chebber

chebber Thread Starter

Thanks very much, iXneonXi. If I had a friend's cd, what would I do with it? I have a basic, very scratched copy of win 98 first edition, borrowed from the company I work for. I tried installing it, and some of the files didn't copy (dll's from all over the place are missing). BUT if I can use that cd to get started and then get the OS off of my recovery cd, would that work? If so, at what point do I change cd's? I'm just guessing at your 'secret', can you tell?
    I actually think the OS on my NEC disk is the second edition, which I would rather have.

I considered LINUX, but since I've never used it, and I'm not a techie by trade, only by neccesity, I decided against it. My husband would love for ME to try it, so he could see how it is. Yah, BG is a bad word around our house! lol

11. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ok well if your new to linux try linspire, xandros, or lycoris. The best choice i would say though is mandrake. I love it. It installed easier than windows. Setting it up was a breeze. That was my first distro i ever used and i didnt even notice the difference.
    please try linux since you harddrive is already whiped anyway.

As for the windows side, all you need is a folder called Win98 or CABS, it should be filled with base.cab files e.g. base001.cab etc. It could be in either cd's. Check and see if you have a folder filled with cabs. You are in luck if you do. Both SE and 98 have this folder filled with cabs. also try a search of the cd : search: *.cab i beleive.

12. buf

buf

chebber:
    Go to this site and you may just "find" a way to use your Recovery Disk and install your system:
    http://members.aol.com/don5408/aptiva.html
    I have owned two IBM computers that did NOT have a full OS CD but instead had the "recovery disk". The installation can be done and without too much difficulty and I have had to do it!! Good luck to you and post back with your results so we may know of your success.

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

recovery disk isnt the best way as it just starts it how it was before, if you want a clean install you have to use the cab files.

14. ClayInfinity

ClayInfinity

I have a CD key, but not even a recovery disk! The system is registered to my name, but due to a falling out with the guy who set me up, he hasnt delivered my system disks...

So how do you get MS to send me a Win95SE CD with a registered CD key alone?

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

dont worry its legal to borrow a friend's windows 98 cd if you have a legal cd key. remember all you need is to copy the cab files. just ask around.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice