1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Install XP after Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by techy689, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Below is the way I installed XP on my computer, after Vista was already installed... creating a dual boot.

First find the drivers for your network components, wireless card or nic, and save them to an external device such as a floppy disk or flash drive.

Then you will need to go into the BIOS on your computer startup. Scroll to the System Configuration tab and go down to the SATA Native Support and change its setting to Disabled. Then hit F10 to Save and Exit.

Next, insert your Windows XP CD and create the partition you wish to install XP on. After the installation is complete you should boot automatically into XP.

Now you need to move some files. First, make sure you have set your folder options to see hidden files and to show protected operating system files. Then open Windows Explorer and go to the drive where Vista is installed. Copy the folder Boot, and the files bootmgr, boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr and paste them to the root of your XP drive.

Then download Vista Boot Pro and save it to your desktop or somewhere else that you can easily access. Unless you already have .Net Framework (v2.0 at least) it will redirect you to a Microsoft page where you can download this necessary component.

Install and run Vista Boot Pro and open the "Bootloader" tab. Select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" and press Apply. Then go to the Manage OS Entries tab and select "Add new operating system entry" and make sure you select "Windows Legacy". Give the new entry a name (ie: Windows XP) and select the drive letter you have XP on and then select Apply. You can also choose which entry you would like as the default the system will boot to.

And now you should be able to dual boot between Vista and a previous OS.

2. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Sorry.. forgot to mention I don't think you need to change the BIOS if you have an ATA or IDE hard drive.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

These instructions may not work for some configurations, but they are well-written and very useful. BCDEdit can also be used.

Thanks.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I assume the links I provided in your other posts helped?

5. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

6. downtime

downtime

How do you create a partition with the XP cd after Vista is already installed? If you installed Vista without leaving free space, how can you install XP without wiping Vista? Are you talking about 2 hard drives? I don't mean to be critical, please don't take it that way, but I don't see how it's possible this way. I've spent a lot of time doing multiple booting with many OS, and I think there are a couple of steps missing.

7. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

Yes... I didn't go through every little detail...

However, another way to split the Vista Partition is to use the Built in partition manager of Vista.

To do this, right click the Computer icon in start, and select manage.

Then select Disk Management, and you can do whatever you want with your partition.

8. downtime

downtime

Bingo! I ended up doing it with 2 hard drives, and XOSL. I was a bit impatient, and didn't know about shrinking. I'm always looking for new ways.

9. techy689

techy689 Thread Starter

it all does the same job :D

10. astrologer

astrologer

I have set up my USB drive to run XP as you have suggested in the original post but I can't seem to find the above files? I have found the rest ok... I am getting the dreaded missing NTLDR without any and a corrupt error if I put an XP file in... Can you suggest something please?

11. cashmoney9

cashmoney9

K i bought a laptop wit vista but want xp and i got bootable cd.How do u exactly delete vistas part cuz u cant make a xp part wen u boot from cd nor install so any help? mabe include pics :p

12. Gswiss

Gswiss

Attached is a full installation procedure which I used successfully on my laptop. I developed it on the basis of s4baz' recommendations in this thread. It contains complementary info which may be useful.

At the end of the XP installation, I chose the procedure using EasyBCD because in the meantime I learned that today's suppliers of Vista Boot Pro are a bunch of crooks.

If you follow every step as indicated, there should be no problem. By the way, I installed XP-SP1 and will move up to SP2 later.

Attached Files:

13. strikegun

strikegun

im having trouble finding the SATA Native Support on my BIOS because there is no system configuration tab on it. anyone know what tab it may be under?

14. Gswiss

Gswiss

It may be under something like device configuration or onboard something. Are you sure you have a SATA controller? Have a look under Device Manager in the Control Panel or run Everest Ultimate Edition (http://www.lavalys.com/)

15. strikegun

strikegun

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/558994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice