1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to install

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by clenny, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

I know how to update using apt-get, but what I've been having problems with is installing programs I download from the net. I'd like to install OmegaT, a software translation memory program. I'm running Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS. Nothing seems to work. So I've downloaded it to my desktop. If I right click on it I get the Archive manager as an option in the contextual menu. Should I start there? Then what? Can I do it from the terminal? I guess I'm basically asking for a walk through. I downloaded this baby from sourceforge.net and the extension is tar.gz, if that makes a difference in how you proceed. Thanks guys.

2. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

hey guys, the noob figured it out. I was making it unnecessarily hard. I'm up and running. The only downside i can see is in order to use it I have to convert Word docs to OpenOffice and then back again. So that's 2 extra steps and the possibility of losing some of the formatting. But for a free program that does the same thing that SDL does which costs at least 800 bucks BTW, who's complaining!!! I've got it running on my Mac too! This Linux thing is looking better and better!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice