1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to keep stored Web Pages for good

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rysz, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Have folders full of web pages saved as: Web Archive,single
    file (*.mht) behind my back those pages synchronizing themselves and when changed or password protected change to garbage, so how to store them not as links ?

thank you

2. slipe

slipe

Have you tried File>Save As in IE? It stores a htm file and a data folder wherever you select on the HD. Both will have the same name as the name it was saved as. If you click the htm file it opens the page it has stored in IE either online or offline..

3. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Thank you slipe
    any other ideas from someone ?

4. slipe

slipe

The only other way I can think of to save a web page without extra software is to press the Print Screen key. That saves what is on the screen to the clipboard as an image. Open Word and select Edit>Paste and the page will be in Word.

You can put the cursor below the image of the web page and Enter. Then the next screen you paste will fit below it. You can put as many as you want in a Word document and save the whole thing.

The images are not full size but you can left click once on the image and pull the corners out to the full width of the Word document.

You have only images of the page. The links will not work of course.

There is software that will do it. This is just one I happened across: http://www.spidersoft.com/ There is probably freeware out there that will do it if you look around.

The send to method has always worked fine for me. Whenever I download software I include the web page explaining what it is and what it does to the same folder as the program. I seldom dump a program I downloaded. I put them on CDR. If I don’t remember what the program does I can open the page from the CD to remind myself. It will open in anything that reads HTML. If you open the page in IE while you are online the links work because all of the html is saved. You are not just saving a link but the entire web page in html. I have web pages I saved years ago that still read fine even though the original page has long since been removed or changed.

Perhaps I don’t understand what it is you are trying to do.

5. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

thanks slipe
    I do store them on cdrw but only to keep, not for daily use. If I store them anywhere " file > save as" they synchronize and change to trash ( you can not get here, etc.) perhaps turning off automatic synchronizing would do ?
    That link is bit to much than I need. Your way works for you cause you use them from CD, I want to access them from HD.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice