1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to keep the CPU FAN clean?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dubitup, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dubitup

dubitup Thread Starter

Hello everybody,
    I got a problem with my CPU fan, I installed SpeedFan on my computer but from last month it says that the temperature inside my computer is really too high. So I decided to change the front fan and the CPU fan but it starts again since yesterday, So I decided to open my computer and I noticed there was a lot of dust inside already... I wonder how I can do to manage this... I was thinking of sticking a tissu on it but it's not a good idea actually..
    How can I do? How do you manage the dust with your computer?

2. silvergazelle

silvergazelle

We've all faced the dust issue. Don't do something crazy like sticking a tissue . All you need is a bottle of compressed can and a lot of patience. Just Google a how to video and follow the instructions but this is after the damage is done but if you want to save yourself time then you should prevent the dust build up in the first place. I had a similar issue with static dust accumulation on virtually all my electronic equipment so after some research I used this Clair BF2025 (http://go-clair.com/) room air purifier. I just keep it switched on all the time. There has been significant reduction in dust and I can see it all trapped in the filter fiber when I take the filter out to clean it once a month ( no need to wash just vacuum the filter once a month and its good to go). I think you should try this option. Just make sure you place the air purifier close to the PC case and there is good air circulation. This way all the dust gets entrapped in the filter fiber before it enters your PC and then you also have the added advantage of having better indoor air quality (It also gets rid of smoke and other contaminants)

3. hewee

hewee

Don't forget to change and keep the heater/ac filter clean.

4. dubitup

dubitup Thread Starter

Ok, I never thought about this, sounds a nice solution :) I will think about it and if I buy one, I will let you know how it is going on later on :) Thanks

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Good quality cases have filters for intake air. These help quite a bit with dust accumulation.

BTW speedfan is next to useless now. It was a decent program in it's day however that day has long past. Most mb mfg have monitoring software available on the support page for your board. This is a MUCH better option to monitor temps than speedfan.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Both of my full-time Dell OptiPlex 780 towers have been in place for 2-1/2 years and still look almost immaculate inside.

These things help to keep it that way:

Each one is set on top of its desk and not on the floor.

Each one is covered with a large towel after turning it off for the day.

The carpeting in my apartment is frequently vacuumed.

I don't smoke nor have any hair-shedding animals.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. dubitup

dubitup Thread Starter

I wish I could quit smoking but I don't have strenght enough^^"
    Sylvergazelle, I ordered the same air purifier then let's see if it goes better :p

8. dubitup

dubitup Thread Starter

Hey, I got a Clair air purifier, the TD1866 and it works really well. My fans are always clean now and it keeps working all the time! You found a good solution :) (y)

9. RachelGreenberg

RachelGreenberg Banned

Best way I have found to clean a fan and heatsink is to use a small paintbrush to dust around it whilst holding a vacuum nearby to extract the dust it frees. To stop the dust from building up in the first place look at a case with dust filters on the intake fans.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Vacuums are tremendous Static electricity generators, getting the vacuum nozzle too close to some of the extremely sensitive components in your computer case can discharge this static electricity and destroy your components. this practice is not recommended.

11. RachelGreenberg

RachelGreenberg Banned

The vacuum itself is sure but the hose is about four foot away from that. I always ground everything that goes near my machine and have never had any problems. Far more likely to get static coming off the brush that then vacuum. Also it's not like I am actively touching the nozzle against anything... merely holding it in the case as an extractor whilst brushing.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The airflow through the hose is what creates the static electricity, even though it is plastic.

13. silvergazelle

silvergazelle

Even compressed air contains minute amounts of water vapor and there is probability of blowing moisture into the connectors on the mother board and damaging it when I boot it immediately afterwards. Sometimes dust vacs come handy for external cleaning right ? those specialized ones I've tried using it in the past.

14. silvergazelle

silvergazelle

I hope it works for you as well . Just use it like a preventive measure to stop dust from entering the PC and position close to the PC tower in a manner that the air enters the air purifier first before it reaches the PC and make sure you clean out the filters atleast once a month else there would be too much dust accumulating inside.

15. dubitup

dubitup Thread Starter

Thanks for all your information, I appreciate it! but now the air purifier we were talking about earlier saved me

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice