1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to keep track of a dynamic IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by allenle37, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allenle37

allenle37 Thread Starter

Is there a way to keep track of my dynamic ip address without paying for a static? Is there a configuration I can do or some time of software which updates your current IP somewhere? Any help or feedback would be great.

Thank you!

2. Alanar

Alanar

Probably dynamic DNS is what you need. In this case a special program on your PC will update the DNS record every time you connect to the Internet.

dyndns.com provides this service for free provided it is queried no more than 648000 times per month.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

NO-IP.com also offers a free and paid service.

4. allenle37

allenle37 Thread Starter

Thank you all. I have tried dydns, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. I downloaded and installed thed updater and I created a url, but when I try to access the url outside of home it does not work. I will give no-ip a try.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DynDNS is very easy to use, perhaps you simply have something configured incorrectly. FWIW, I've used both, and the configuration is almost identical between the services. Since I know DynDNS works, if you stick with that, I'll try to help you get it working.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Here's a typical example of an account setup on your end, please do a similar screen shot of how you have yours configured.

Note. Click on the graphic to expand it to full size if it's not readable.

Attached Files:

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'm using DynDNS too for a couple of years in fact with no problems. First you need to make sure your registered dynamic domain name is properly associating with your ISP provided dynamic IP. To do this, do a nslookup on your domain name and see if the IP returned matches your current IP on your router. If this lines up, the next thing you need to do is look at your firewall rules on your router. If you are attempting to access resources behind your router, you need to set up port forwarding to allow communication from the internet in. If you are hitting your router directly to do something like a VPN connection, then you need to look at your router to see if things are set up properly.

8. allenle37

allenle37 Thread Starter

Thank you for the assistance all. Attached are my settings and seems like it is working, but when I try to access allen.getmyip.com from outside of my network it doesn't work. When I go to allen.getmyip.com when Im on my LAN it prompts me for the password to my router. There is something I'm doing wrong or something is configured incorrectly. I think might be the port forwarding, but I don't know what ports need to be forwarded. :confused:

Attached Files:

9. zx10guy

What are you trying to access on your network from the internet?

10. allenle37

allenle37 Thread Starter

I thought this address allen.getmyip.com I setup at dydns would tell me my current WAN IP address so I could remote to my network at home.

11. zx10guy

Your domain of allen.getmyip.com will resolve to your current WAN IP address. But just entering your domain name in your browser isn't going to get you anywhere. There's a whole complex issue of application ports and such which it seems you're lacking in knowledge of. When you say remote in, are you targeting a specific PC or are you trying to gain general network access to your home network?

12. allenle37

allenle37 Thread Starter

Yes I'm trying to target certain PC's on my network via PC Anywhere or VNC. I have port forwarding set for each PC on my network which is not a issue at this point. I can connect fine as long as I know the current WAN IP at home. I thought the domain of allen.getmyip.com was being hosted by dydns so it would tell me the WAN IP address at home. So I guess i'm not understanding how dydns works. Do I just need to logon to there site and it will tell me my IP address or doI need to go to allen.getmyip.com to get my IP?

13. zx10guy

Provided you have your port forwarding rules set right on your router, you have to do the following:

Launch your VNC client and then enter in the server/address field: allen.getmyip.com:5900. The 5900 is the default starting port for many VNC servers. It may not be necessary to include the port number 5900 with your VNC client. The same applies to using PC Anywhere or Microsoft's RDC.

I have a strong suspicion your port forward rules are not configured correctly.

14. allenle37

allenle37 Thread Starter

Sorry, but i'm kind of getting lost now. Why do we need the port for VNC?

When connecting outside my network with says PC Anywere do I just allen.getmyip.com: (port number)?

So the url allen.getmyip.com does not technically show my ip if I were to enter it in the web browser correct?

15. zx10guy

Basic principles of TCP/IP involve the use of ports which are tied to specific services or applications running a particular box. When you enter a domain like www.yahoo.com, you are essentially doing a connection to what ever IP www.yahoo.com resolves to over port 80. In other words, you're actually doing www.yahoo.com:80. Same applies when you type in https://www.yahoo.com which really means you're doing www.yahoo.com:443. When you enter the urls without the port numbers in my example, your browser is smart enough to translate it over to what works over TCP/IP.

VNC works over a port ranges starting at 5900. From the sounds of it, you don't have port forwarding set up on your router or it's not configured correctly. You have to set up a rule which allows any IP from the internet directed to your WAN IP over a specific port (in this case 5900) to be redirected to a PC in your internal network say 192.168.1.50. The PC at that IP needs to have a service or application which is listening for incoming connections to it on port 5900 per my example. So when you initiate a connection on the internet in this example, you're doing this....

Client on internet (100.100.100.100....example address) connecting to allen.getmyip.com on port 5900. The router then translates the incoming connection from 100.100.100.100 to the internal PC address of 192.168.1.50 which is listening on port 5900.

If you are trying to connect via VNC to an internal PC, you're not going to do this over a web browser. You need a VNC type client. Also, VNC is not a secure means of remotely connecting to any PC or server. I don't know much about the recent incarnations of PC Anywhere. I used to use it over dial up modem connections. I suspect PC Anywhere is using some sort of encryption to secure remote connections done over the internet. If you use VNC over the open internet, you're asking for your PC to be hacked. I would only use VNC type connections if you do it through a secure tunnel like a VPN.

Also keep in mind one thing about doing port forward rules, it opens up your internal network to the greater potential of being hacked. When you set up port forward rules, you're punching holes in your firewall to allow traffic to come through. Your security at that point is entirely dependent on the PC on the receiving end of that connection.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice