1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to keep windows healthy?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jaccqullynn, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaccqullynn

jaccqullynn Thread Starter

(i wasnt sure where to post this thread)

but anyway, i love using my computer but im more concerned than ever about keeping it healthy since i use it for my schooling.

what are some good ways to keep my computer healthy. firewalls etc. spyware protector. any suggestions or tips.

2. texastoy4her

texastoy4her

3. Michiba

Michiba

You can use lots of free stuff, a combination of popular tools like Zone alrm. AVG Spybot and Adaware, build a good security net.

Do a bit of reserch, I run a combo of the above on my Windows machine and fell pretty safe. I run nothing of the sort on my Linux box and fell safer.

Michiba

4. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

run defragmenter tool every day.

scan for spyware with spybot or adaware.

scan for viruses.....use AVAST or NOD32.

remove invalid registry entries....use SYSTEM MECHANIC for this and complete computer maintainance.

5. Nalianna

Nalianna

Not quite this often, lol, dont wear out yoru HD :)

perhaps once a week:)

6. bbearren

bbearren

Create a password for the Administrator account; write it down and put it in a safe place where you can be sure to find it when you need it. Then, create at least two user accounts. First, create an account named "admin" (or something similiar, with password) as an administrator account (because XP demands at least one user as "Administror"). Use this account to install programs. Second, create a limited account (with password) that you will use for all usual and normal activity. Never go online as "Administrator" or "Admin" except to the Windows Update site. If you have a high-speed internet connection, buy a router and connect your computer through it instead of connecting directly to your high-speed modem. That will add a hardware firewall between your computer and the internet.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The actual best way to protect a computer and keep it free of any virus's or thing like that is actually to never turn it on. We all know that this is very impractical so all we can do is the best we can. There are several things we can do to help keep our computers clean. They are as follows:

READ - Read everything on the screen before hitting the enter key to do what you want the computer to do. Once you hit enter the computer will do your task instantly. So reading is the one thing that will help the most.

MAD - If you are angry or mad do not use the computer. The computer does not understand these or any other emotions and will stick it in your ear every time.

Error messages - Not only read them but Write them down so who ever does your tech support knows what is going on. I love good error reporting.

Updates - Usually a good thing especially from Microsoft Windows Update as much as people complain about them updates from Big Daddy are still an in-expensive way to keep your computer safe.

Programs - Stay away from lot of freeware from the so called freeware sites. Some freeware is ok like AVG anti-virus and these but the junky ones leave a lot to be desired.

Attachments - do not open any of them even if you know who they are from, call the person that you know that sent it to you and ask, if you do not know who then DELETE it. There are no exceptions to this rule. No matter how cute it looks if you do not know do not open it.

Common Sense - Use it as much as possible it will help you more than you think.

People using the computer - Never let anyone use your computer but yourself. Unless they are going to pay you $1000.00 per/hour, and then sit there and watch them.

Never loan your computer to any one- NO EXCEPTRIONS

Read the next part and chose carefully you will make the person who put this page together very happy

Security Help Tools by Rollin' Rog
    http://forums.techguy.org/security/110854-security-help-tools.html

I have more to say but I am too tired to type more so have a good day and enjoy

8. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

why not?:D :D

it will wear out eventualy anyway.:D :D

9. jaccqullynn

jaccqullynn Thread Starter

wow those are all great ideas! thanks.

10. sockey99

sockey99

Before you defrag, download, install, and run CCleaner, MMHcleaner. No use defraging junk and temp files. Both are free, just Google search.
    MMHcleaner also lets you control startups.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice