Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Kill the Macromedia Pop-up??

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dvk01 
#1 ·
I am tired of dealing with that damned Macromedia pop-up. I'm trying to do research and get information on computer products and that damned Macromedia pop-up asking me to download something is annoying the hell out of me. It hits me some 3 to 5 times on about every page I visit and then again if I have to go back again to that page.

How can I get rid of it? I'm not interested in seeing any Macromedia stuff at all.

#2 ·
It's because the page or pages, you are trying to view have either flash or shockwave content on them and you do not have the macromedia flash / shockwave plug ins to see the pages.

Either download it as it suggests, or don't try to view pages that have any content apart from straight html.

If you take the second course you will have a poor experience with about 1/4 of the internet denied to you

Most computer sites nowadays have gone the multimedia route, with flash, shockwave and other visual/audio content. Without the appropriate plug in you are unable to see the info on the site.

Unfortunately too many sites are completely made in flash

Edited: as an example I tried to find some info about my printer on the epson site today and it is only available with macromedia schockwave

Derek

#4 ·
dvk01,
Let's see.... I didn't ask why the pop-up was there. I didn't ask what I was missing. I am now wondering why you posted.

TonyKlein,
I think the shockmachine reminder is some sort of reminder to update something. It is not related to the Macromedia download dialog pop-up.

#5 ·
As I already feared, we were probably not talking about the same thing... :p

I'm now thinking it may be a setting in your Internet Options.

Possibly something on the security tab concerning downloading ActiveX controls. Try setting things to Disabled that are at present set to Prompt.

Other possibility:

The "Install on Demand" check boxes in Internet Options/Advanced.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Alex Ethridge:
dvk01,
Let's see.... I didn't ask why the pop-up was there. I didn't ask what I was missing. I am now wondering why you posted.

TonyKlein,
I think the shockmachine reminder is some sort of reminder to update something. It is not related to the Macromedia download dialog pop-up.
I posted to try and help you

With many sites using flash or shockwave the site designer has hard coded a pop up message to help you. This automatically comes up to point you to the download site so you can download if you want to.

As far as I know there is no way to disable the pop up message on a site that is coded like that. you can try Tony's suggestion of disabling active X prompts etc rather than allowing prompt, but it depends whether the site or sites in question have hard coded the message into the page

Derek

#8 ·
monted,

It's distracting. I am looking for a way to view the content I need to see without the distraction of a bunch of flashing lights, moving pictires and things jumping around on the screen.

I'm not into multimedia on the web. I just want to get drivers, visit help bulletin boards and troubleshooting-type web pages. That's all.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Alex Ethridge:
monted,

It's distracting. I am looking for a way to view the content I need to see without the distraction of a bunch of flashing lights, moving pictires and things jumping around on the screen.

I'm not into multimedia on the web. I just want to get drivers, visit help bulletin boards and troubleshooting-type web pages. That's all.
I totally agree, unfortunately a vast proportion of the help sites have gone multimedia, Epson for example rely on shockwave, you put in your requirements and it suggests printers, drivers, etc.

However flash and shockwave don't always mean moving images & flashing lights. They can and are used for simple interactivity, press here and go to here or press 2 and go elsewhere

Te help sites now have realised that they have to cater for the less experienced users, who vastly outweigh the experts looking for a specific driver or update.

The way most of them have chosen to do this is by using flash or shockwave, cos it's easy for the newbie to use and easy and cheap to programme. it can be programmed by the office boy once the system has been set up and saves the companies vast sums of money on proper html and database programmers.

I am afraid Alex that at some time very soon, you will have to bite the bullet and download macromedia flash and shockkwave if you wqnt to find out information on the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.