Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to know the subnet mask of other machine.

14K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Bob Cerelli 
#1 ·
Hi All,

there is one machine on my LAN and I want to know its subnet mask. When I try traceroute command, it shows there is one more machine (Gateway) in between.Does it mean the first machine is on some different network?

Thanx in advance,
Barjesh.

#4 ·
Stumbled on this a couple of days ago actually, didn't do anything special. Tested it against one Win2k system and one XP system, it worked (though it displays the lease times in dd-mm-yyyy format even though my systems are set for mm-dd-yyyy), and haven't touched it since.
Only instructions I found are this:
The remote machine must have Remote Registry Service and WMI Service running and you'll need administer privileges on the target machines.
Did a little more testing after seeing your post, and here's what I got:

I have an NT 4.0 domain, and am running the program from a WinXP MCE box signed in with a Domain Admin account. The other computers on the network are signed in with the same account. The two NT servers are signed in as Administrator. Running from a Win2k box gave the same results with one exception noted below. The program won't run on NT - mscoree.dll is needed and it's not on the NT box (so much for NT compatibility).

Tested all my systems, the 3 Win2k work, one XP box works, and one XP box fails, the NT 4.0 Servers fail, and Win 98 fails, . I suspect that Win NT Workstation will also fail, I'll have to reboot the Win98 box and see.

Win98:
Code:
[B]C:\>RmtIPcfg.exe WIN98

Remote Windows IP Configuration v. 1.0.2 by Morten Skrubbeltrang

Failed to connect: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.[/B]
Win NT:
Code:
[B]C:\>RmtIPcfg.exe PDC

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PDC
        Primary DNS Sufix . . . . . . . . : attbi.com
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : attbi.com

Failed to connect: Class not registered[/B]
and the failing XP system:
Code:
[B]C:\>RmtIPcfg.exe WinXP2

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WinXP2
        Primary DNS Sufix . . . . . . . . :

Failed to connect: The RPC server is unavailable.[/B]
Running from a Win2k system give a bit more info, the error is
Code:
[B]Failed to connect: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)[/B]
The RPC Services are set the same as on the XP system that works, and Remote Registry and WMI are both running, so have to do some more digging on that one.

Then the program turned its self into a 0 byte file -- had to re-extract it from the zip file

I don't have firewalls enabled on any of the systems, and both XP boxes have remote desktop and assistance enabled. Only thing "special" I've done (other than running an NT Domain in my basement:rolleyes: ) is set up the remote registry service on the Win98 system so I can access it's registry remotely.

Just found this freeware tool Remote Command GUI

Going to give it a test and see if it works any better. Says you have to have .NET framework on the machine that is running it, and admin rights on the target system

#6 ·
Same results with the Remote Command GUI, except the Win98 system also says RPC Server not available. It does let you run other commands though, so if it works could be useful. You're right though, if it doesn't work out of the box, easier to go to the other system and check it that way.

Me, I just have ultra VNC on all the boxes, and can do most anything I want:)

#8 ·
Well, I certainly don't, but I have no idea how far away barjeshforyou is from the PC he wants to check on. If his network is spread out so far that he can't just walk over and look at it, it's time to call the person using the PC and have them look it up. Or hit the Boss up for that company car, a fast one to save time of course;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.