1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to link two routers together (or perhaps a different ide

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kerr Avon, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Thread Starter

This is new to me, so I'm probably not using the correct terms, and maybe I'm making wrong assumptions, and if so then I apologise. Apologies also if it's in the wrong forum.

The situation is that my neighbour's house now has five security cameras fitted, and working properly. The cameras' leads (they are wired, not wireless) all go through the attic, and meet and go down into his bedroom, and are connected to the camera's hub box (or whatever it's called, the unit that houses the hard drive and everything). The hub box is wired into his bedroom TV, and everything is working fine, he can view the cameras on the bedroom TV, there's no problems with the security system at all.

The thing is, he wants to connect the camera hub box to the internet, so it can email him if say he's at work and one of the cameras detects moving in his yard (he has lots of valuable fish, some of them are *massive*). He doesn't want or need to view the security cameras on the downstairs TV, just for the security camera hub box (which is upstairs) to communicate with the internet, via the house router, which is downstairs. Ideally, he doesn't want to run a cable all the way from the bedroom to the router (from the camera hub box in his bedroom, down to the router in his living room), or to drill a cable though the bedroom floor (for the cable from the camera hub box to the router in his living room) if he can avoid using a long cable.

The router is SKY broadband, which wirelessly connects to the usual stuff (tablet, phone, an Amazon Fire stick type thing). Everything is working with that router, but he has a second router (identical to the first) that isn't being used for anything, and he was hoping that he could somehow introduce the second, previously unused router into the equation, and get the two routers working together, meaning that his camera hub box would be connected by a short cable to a router (call it router two, the new router that would be in the bedroom next to the camera hub box) and that router two would communicate wirelessly with router one (the downstairs router, the one that's connected to the phone line and feeds everything else, i.e. his tablet, mobile phone, etc).

Is this possible, or does it require a different item (not a router) to be connected to the camera hub in place of router two? Please don't assume I know anything about this (I pretty much don't), it's all new to me.

Thanks for any answers.

2. britekguy

britekguy

Just curious, but why would a second router even be necessary? If this is a new system the main control box for the cameras is almost certainly supplied with WiFi capability, but since the make and model was not supplied I cannot say that with absolute certainty. If it is, why not connect it to the home network using WiFi?

If the answer happens to be, "Because the signal is weak," then you should still try it anyway. Signal strength is not nearly as important as signal consistency. And if he has a consistent WiFi signal that "does what needs doing" then that would be the way to go.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The device is called a Wireless Bridge or Wireless Client. A few routers have this capability; yours probably does not, but if it does have this mode you could use it. If you want to buy a device you can also look for a Range Extender or Access Point that also has the Wireless Bridge mode.

Here is an example inexpensive model that should work for your case.

EDIT: If you want to connect multiple ethernet devices you can also buy a switch or look for a Client with multiple ethernet ports.

4. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Thread Starter

5. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Thread Starter

Sorry for not posting earlier, my mate was working away from home (I know what that's like, it's not great). Anyway, he bought a powerline and everything is working fine now.

Thanks for all of the help, it's much appreciated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice