1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to load operating system with not internal drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bryansmiley, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bryansmiley

bryansmiley Thread Starter

I have bought a IBM Thinkpad 560Z laptop with no operating system or internal drives. I want to load XP onto it. I have bought an IBM external CD ROM drive - USB 2.0 with optional split PS2 connectors.

I have tried connecting it from the cd drives USB to the PS2 on the laptop, it lights up and I can put the bootable XP CD in the drive. However the same startup screen always comes up on the laptop.

It is a picture of a floppy disk, with all the F keys along the bottom, the picture of F1 pressed down, and pressing between F1 and F8 just stays in a black screen, and gives "I9990302 I9990302 I9990305" if that means anything. You can't go any further.

Is this because there is no driver for the drive? The USB driver is on a floppy disk, but does it need this going from USB on the drive to the laptops PS2? Do I need to get an external floppy drive and install it/another driver, to then install XP?

What's the easest way to get XP on this machine?

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

XP may, or may not, go on there! How big is the HD and how much RAM does it have?

3. bryansmiley

I have checked it should be fine. 6B hard drive, p2 300mhz, 64MB RAM.

What does the fact the cd drive is being powered, able to open and at least sound as if its reading it suggest?

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

This computer will not give you satisfactory performance with XP. My 450MHz 128mg ram computer doesn't even give good performance with XP. It is very slow, jumpy, and a pain to use...

If the CD is working but not loading (booting) the XP CD it is probably because you need to set the boot startup sequence to boot with the external drive, and that would be done in the BIOs - but this computer may not support that. You will have to look and see.

I suggest getting an external floppy drive and starting with a Win98 boot disk.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IMO, it's foolish to try to install XP on this machine. I agree, W98 is about as far as I'd go. I'm sure a machine that old doesn't support booting from the USB CD, so you'll have to bootstrap yourself. I think I'd take the hard disk out, connect it to a desktop temporarily, and copy the WIN98 folder from the CD over to it, and install a bootable DOS on the drive.

Boot it in the laptop and run the setup from thw WIN98 folder.

6. bryansmiley

I have installed XP on similar spec systems and they perform fine. Especially changing system settings like minimising xp themes, visualisation, graphics and such.

You can download the win 98 boot disk files from the net and put them on a floppy can you not? So this would be the easier option over connecting it to another pc?

7. JohnWill

To each his own. Obviously, your definition of "performs fine" isn't the same as mine. :rolleyes:

8. bryansmiley

Not necessarily, no pc is the same, no setup is the same. Perhaps the pc you tried this on did not perform well for whatever reason, but that doesnt mean thats exactly how it will be for everyone, every pc around that spec.

You havent seen all pc's running on that spec and how there setup so you cannot be sure, nor tell me the pc is not performing well, because I'm telling you others did.

On similar specs pc's, after a new installation, minimising xp themes and things that take up cpu/ram, made the pc perform just as good as my pc on double the cpu and ram.

9. JohnWill

Running XP on a P2-300 with 64mb will be painfully slow, there really isn't any way around it. I think you're swimming against the current here, but it's your time. :)

10. bryansmiley

I have tried connecting an external floppy drive via USB to no prevail. I've also tried connecting it via a PS2 connector which although Ive learnt wouldnt work, actually sounded like it powered the floppy drive for a moment, whereas the USB did not.

I tried downloading a Win98 boot disk from here http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml
    and whether its connected or not, the laptop shows you all the F1 keys with a picture of a floppy. Pressing any of the F keys takes you to a black screen that just gives you "I9990302 I9990302 I9990305" again you cant go any further.

Anyone know whats going on here, what can/should I do?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Since when can you put a USB CD-ROM drive on a PS2 port? I don't think the BIOS would be able to see it there anyways.

For the error I9990302/305:

12. two1361

two1361

P2 300mhz? why not jsut get something newer and not worry about it?

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I don't think the TP560 supports booting via the USB, unless you got DOS drivers for it.

Plus I don't know if there are any Windows XP drivers for your machine.

I also agree with JW (as always :D). I would be suprised if Windows XP will run on the PII 300 with 64Mb. But like he said, to each his own...

14. techno_lust

techno_lust

Putting XP onto this machine is akin to putting a pearl necklace on a pig.

15. brite750

brite750

especially without the right footwear :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice