1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to lock usb flash drive?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by bernabe69, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bernabe69

bernabe69 Thread Starter

hi guys

are there any free applications out there which can lock usb flash drive? coz i always take my thumb drive to work and im worried that if i leave it on my desk, someone might just have access to my personal files. thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What make and model drive?

3. bernabe69

bernabe69 Thread Starter

im using a 2GB kingston data traveler flash drive. [​IMG]
    what im actually looking for is a software where its gonna ask me for a password before i can access the files inside it or something similar to that. thanks!

4. 1002richards

1002richards Trusted Advisor

5. bernabe69

bernabe69 Thread Starter

thanks a million Richard! will try both of these...

6. 1002richards

You're welcome.

7. firestormer

firestormer

If you use software to secure you USB wont you then need the software on your work computer to open it?

Although i suppose you could install an encryption program onto you USB disk but when you arrive at work you would probably be braking all sorts of rules by running an unaurtherised applicaiton.

8. 1002richards

bernabe69,
    firestormer has raised a very good point that I overlooked. I can use Cryptainer mobile on my works PC and my employer has very very strict rules on such matters; so you may - or may not be in luck. Sorry I missed this and I hope it's not inconvenienced you.

Richard.

9. firestormer

firestormer

One option is to stick everything into a commpressed zip file and add a password to it. But this has down sides.

If it is a large file it will take time to compress and extract.
    Security on zip files is quite weak, and could be bypassed by an amature hacker.
    Adding passwords to zip files is no longer supported in Windows Vista.

Provided your employer is running Windows you should be able to access theses zips as the is a zip utility built into windows explorer.

10. CFLager

CFLager

11. pastoralbert

pastoralbert

Have you try "lockngo" ? This does not require you to install any program in your computer.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/567471