1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to log off if mouse freezes?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bromhouse, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bromhouse

bromhouse Thread Starter

My microsoft mouse sometimes freezes - is there a way to log off using the keyboard only?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If your system is set to a usual default for a desktop, a single quick press of the power button does a full and normal shutdown.

A 5 second press does a forced power down.

laptops may differ and it may not be the same, however we are unsure of what your system is?

3. bromhouse

bromhouse Thread Starter

Thanks Kiwiguy - that works! They didn't tell me about that when I was growing up! (60 years ago!)

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That's probably because you are "over the ditch", we keep all the good stuff on our side...

5. bromhouse

bromhouse Thread Starter

I figured that when the Allblacks came last week! (Altho I think that we got a bit lucky!)

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You only win on the day if they open up the prisons to let enough people out...
    Also the ACCC force us to throw a match now and then, otherwise they consider we have a monopoly.

7. lavazza

lavazza

As it's a microsoft mouse, I assume your on Windoze

If so, and your keyboard is less than 4 or so years, then down by the left Alt key you probably have a 'Windows' key, which - for want of a better symbol here - I'll label ‰

To close Applications:
    Alt + F, X

Hold down the Alt key and type F (takes you to the File menu) and then (still holding the Alt key down) press the X key (for Exit)

To close Windows Explorer windows:
    Alt + F, C

Hold down the Alt key and type F (takes you to the File menu) and then (still holding the Alt key down) press the C key (for Close)

To Shut Down:
    ‰,↑, Enter, Enter

Windows key, then the up arrow (usually on the right side of a keyboard) (to the words 'Shut Down') then Enter and then Enter again

Good Night Bill!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice