How to make a registration page?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

r_khan

Hello everyone,

I want to include an online registration page for a conference that my organization will be holding, similar to this. How would i go about doing that? Also, there is going to be some sort of a registation fee ($5-$10)...how do i incorporate paying online into the registration form?

thanks.

Hi,

There are a few options available to you. My first suggestion is trying to find a pre-made script that you can purchase. These are very easy to install, setup, and use. If you do not have an account somewhere that allows you to use online payment, you will need to setup an account for one. Some places that you can do this are through Paypal and 2CheckOut. Both these places allow you to use credit cards to accept orders. However, Paypal will charge you for each transaction and I do not recall what 2CheckOut charges. When I used them, it was a one time fee and a very minimal transaction fee.

Scripts
Listed below are some scripts that you can use for signing up member for a conference or event as you have expressed interest in. I found all of these scripts at Hotscripts. You can do a search there if you need more.
  • PHP Guard Dog - This program lets you create a users only section on your website. Through this you can charge people for conference registration. It allows for many customizations, payment options, e-mailing registrants, etc.
  • aMember - Similar to PHP Guard Dog

Just a Quick Note
You have asked a BIG question with very little information. Do you have a website already running? Do you have PHP, CGI or Perl? How much can you spend on the software? Are you looking to program it yourself?

Just remember that there is a lot to consider when doing something like this. There may be scripts out there for exactly what you are looking for. However, sometimes it is easier to find a script, and use it in a different way than it was intended without having to do anything to it!

Good luck and send more questions if you have them. I know my help is very limited, but I hope I send you off to a good start.

r_khan

liammacg said:
Hi,

There are a few options available to you. My first suggestion is trying to find a pre-made script that you can purchase. These are very easy to install, setup, and use. If you do not have an account somewhere that allows you to use online payment, you will need to setup an account for one. Some places that you can do this are through Paypal and 2CheckOut. Both these places allow you to use credit cards to accept orders. However, Paypal will charge you for each transaction and I do not recall what 2CheckOut charges. When I used them, it was a one time fee and a very minimal transaction fee.

Scripts
Listed below are some scripts that you can use for signing up member for a conference or event as you have expressed interest in. I found all of these scripts at Hotscripts. You can do a search there if you need more.
  • PHP Guard Dog - This program lets you create a users only section on your website. Through this you can charge people for conference registration. It allows for many customizations, payment options, e-mailing registrants, etc.
  • aMember - Similar to PHP Guard Dog

Just a Quick Note
You have asked a BIG question with very little information. Do you have a website already running? Do you have PHP, CGI or Perl? How much can you spend on the software? Are you looking to program it yourself?

Just remember that there is a lot to consider when doing something like this. There may be scripts out there for exactly what you are looking for. However, sometimes it is easier to find a script, and use it in a different way than it was intended without having to do anything to it!

Good luck and send more questions if you have them. I know my help is very limited, but I hope I send you off to a good start.
thank you so much.

to answer your questions...
Do you have a website already running? yes, here
Do you have PHP, CGI or Perl? I have no idea
How much can you spend on the software? its school based, so it has to be a premade script...free
Are you looking to program it yourself? is it hard. i know basic html.

Hi again,

Thanks for answering the questions I put in my last post. Since you are on a low-budget it is going to be difficult to find a script that you are looking for that will do what you need it to do. In addition, since you are on a school website (.edu) it is likely that you are not given PHP or programming access for your website. However, to see if you can use PHP on your site, copy the text below and save it into a file called hello.php

Code:
<?php
    echo 'hello world<br>';
?>
Upload that to your server and then access it through your browser. If you see "hello world" appear on that page, then that should mean you have PHP access on your site.

Again, without PHP access there is not a lot you can do. Plus, if you can't spend a lot (or any) money, it further hinders your likeliness you find a good script to do what you need to do. But, keep checking on the sites I gave you in the previous post. Just search around on there. I think you're bound to find one that is for free.

r_khan

Hello. The school is updating their sever so i can't login and make any changes to the website yet.

However, is there a free script for what i am looking for without paying online for registration? So, what i mean is the people will fill out the registatrion form and then when they click submit, the entered information will be automatically forwarded to an email address.

thanks.

That would work as well.

Just go to Hotscripts and look under PHP or CGI/Perl, then go to Scripts and Programs. Under that, click on Form Processors. Again, there will be many to choose from. Look for the one that suits your needs best.

r_khan

Okay. i am having a hard time trying to find scripts that are free and easy to use. Most of them if they are free are way over my head.

so, i just went to frontpage and used the form wizard. however, how to "tell" it to email the results to a certain email adress and to make certain fields required?

thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online