1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to make a Windows XP start up disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cherbrig, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cherbrig

cherbrig Thread Starter

I am trying to reformat my daughters computer using the Windows XP Home Edition CD. But after installing a new CD Rom drive, the computer doesn't recognize the cd rom. I tired add new hardware wizard but when it gets to the part where I can pick the hardware I am trying to install it doesn't list any CD rom drives. I have even tried to change the boot sequence in the Bios settings. Still no luck. So I am hoping that there is a way for me to make a start up disk using the Original Windows XP Home Edition CD. Is there a way for me to do just that? Or is there some other way for me to get the computer to recognize the cd?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi cherbrig

Did you check the jumper settings on the CD drive?
    Compare the jumper settings on the new drive with the jumper settings on the old drive.

Is the CD drive on its own controller ribbon or does it share the same controller as the hard drive?
    I have an HP and both of my optical drives are set to Cable Select, they are on their own ribbon.
    Are all the connections snug at the drive and at the motherboard?

Was the CD Rom detected in the BIOS?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice