1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to make computer back to factory settings. Just like new again

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by stephpage93, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephpage93

stephpage93 Thread Starter

I wish to make my computer back to factory settings. Like it was when it came fresh out the box. My computer is a Dell Dimension e521.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

You will need to use the restore disks that came with your computer. You might also try pressing ctrl+F11 when your computer first boots up. That is the standard command to access the dell recovery partition, if present.

3. stephpage93

When i press ctrl+F11 it doesnt do anything. it continues loading up to my password screen. I have 4 disk that came with my computer

1. blue disk - drivers and utilities
    2. green disk- operating system
    3. blue disk- applications
    4. blue disk drivers and user documentation.

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

It sounds like they gave you a real OEM windows disk. To restore you would boot from the green Operating system disk and go through the full installation process. This will install windows. You would then use the blue drivers disks to install all the needed drivers and then the Blue applications disk to install the applications.

I would suggest reading through the user documentation on the blue drivers/documentation disk before you start as there is probably a document detailing the restore process step by step.

Can also read through this thread for more details.
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/770917-how-restore-factory-settings.html

5. stephpage93

it seems that the driver/documentation disk is for the computer monitor only. can the operating system disk make my computer like new taking all the programs i downloaded off and any other personal files, or it only re-installs windows vista keeping all my personal programs and files?

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

Before reinstalling the OS, you will need to back up all personal files as doing a clean install will delete them. Just make sure you choose the option to reformat your disk when you are going through the install.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/770975