1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How To Make Internet Never Drop?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NikHilltons, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NikHilltons

NikHilltons Thread Starter

How can I make my internet connection so stable that it never drops. Or is this even possible?

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

That depends on the reliability of the connection in the first place
    For instance if the ISP - Internet Service Provider notifies you that you are likely to suffer drop outs due to your location etc then the answer is NO
    If it is a wireless connection and you live in an area of high interference for instance from a private radio transmission site - say for instance a local private hire firm then the answer generally is no again

To assist further detail is required
    Make and model of computer
    OS
    ISP
    connection details hard wired - wireless - cable - satellite etc.

Make and model of modem router

and any other detail you can provide

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Get out your wallet. In the business world where reliability has a direct effect on productivity/profitability, there is a discussion about 9's. There is never a possibility of having a 100% reliable system/network. But how close can one get to 100%? This is where the number of 9's comes into play. When someone says they can provide 3 9's of up time, that means they're are guaranteeing their service to be up 99.9% of the time over a span of a year. The more 9's you want, the more expensive it's going to be.

With residential service, there is never a discussion of 9's because noone would pay for it. As an example, I looked into switching to business class service with my ISP. I'm paying around $80/month for my current service of 150 down and 10 up. To go to business class service, I would be paying $150/month for 50 down and 10 up. If I wanted to get close to my residential service now, I would be paying $180/month for 100 down and 20 up.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

I have a customer that pays $750 for a 100Mb/s synchronous managed fiber connection, it has a 99 something % up time from the ISP...until there's a large power outage or some company digs through the fiber line. That's where multiple types of connectivity come in and even then 100% up-time may not be achievable.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Reminds me of a project I used to work on. They had tons of money to play with. They had a dedicated OC192 line pulled and ran a SONET ring for the private WAN network. They've since moved to MetroE. I never got the actual per month fee they were paying for the OC192. But other projects I've been on I've seen monthly bills of $10k per month.

7. NikHilltons

Hmmm.... that means I have to get my money into the play for better stability.

8. NikHilltons

Thanks for the help.

9. NikHilltons

Thanks for trying to help. But I guess I am thinking of spending some money like zx10guy said in post #3.

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Well you never actually answered any of the questions - so no one has any idea of what drop-outs you are suffering or indeed any details of the connection, ISP etc.

So when you say
    No one can help until we know what the problem is and the details as above, but if you know you have to spend money - good luck with it

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190216