Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Make My Computer Run Better

777 views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  freedave 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 10586, Installed 20200113171227.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (29 GB Free); G: 101 GB (28 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 339A, s/n 2UA2430FD8
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2UA2430FD8
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I'm trying to get my comptuter to run faster and smoother.

I went to Storage useage.

1. There is apparently no Storage Sense option.

2. It shows 435 GB used out of 465 GB

3. The largest item, by far, is Documents 352 GB.

4. When I click on View documents it doesn't show anywher near even one GB.

Any suggestion?

See less See more
#2 ·
To see what is using up space, install treesize. TreeSize Free | JAM Software (jam-software.com)
Next issue would be to install a ssd drive rather than a spin drive.
You do have to understand that you have 10yr old hardware and it is not going to run like a new ryzen or 12th gen intel however installing a ssd and probably adding another 8gig of ram will be an improvement.

#3 ·
To see what is using up space, install treesize. TreeSize Free | JAM Software (jam-software.com)
Next issue would be to install a ssd drive rather than a spin drive.
You do have to understand that you have 10yr old hardware and it is not going to run like a new ryzen or 12th gen intel however installing a ssd and probably adding another 8gig of ram will be an improvement.
Thank you.

I did install Treesize and am trying to figure out how to use it.

My C drive is an SSD . . .

#5 ·
To add to this, if your TSGInfo is correct, your best bet is to do a fresh clean install of Windows 10 as you are running Windows 10 version 1511, which is the second version of Windows 10 back in 2015. Last update for this version was in 2017 so you are just over 4 years of missing security updates. Doing a clean install will clear out any broken links that could cause your computer to slow down.

Obviously you would need to back up your data before you would do this clean install.

#8 ·
You will need a unused/spare 8GB minimum USB drive.

You would need to Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and then run the tool. It will create the installation files to run the Windows files. From there you would boot your computer to the usb drive to start the process.

But this will be the last step you do because if you do this before saving your files to something else, like a cloud storage or an external drive, then you will lose all your files.

As to TreeSize, it should be showing you the biggest folders first. Then you will need to click on the + icon next to the folder to expand it to show the folders and the biggest will show from there and so on.

Can you show us a screenshot of TreeSize?

#19 ·
Just like in File Explorer, you need to click on the arrow to expand the folder. (circled in red)

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

When you click on this, then it will show you the folders within Users and the most full will be right under Users. If you are the only user of this computer, then suffice to say the next folder should be your own. From there click on the arrow for that folder and then you should see where the files are stored the most.

submit another screenshot of the other folders that you see if you still need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.