Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to make second partition bootable / restore hd image when partition is too small?

4K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  motin 
#1 ·
How do I make the second partition, which includes all files from another hard drive, pretend that it is the main partition? I want to simulate the second partition being my main one for a while.

OR

How do I resize system partitions?

Background:
I am in deep trouble...

A while ago I made a hard drive image with Drive Snapshot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/). A few days ago my hard drive crashed and I certainly want to restore it. Although, I can't afford waiting for a new hard drive, and I want to restore it to another computer instead. My goal is to be able to boot into the old system with all programs and settings intact!

Setup:
- A stationary computer where the hard-drive snapshot resides (300 gb)
- A crashed laptop computer (38,7 gb)
- A target stationary computer with two partitions: (system c: 38,8 gb, d: 38,6 gb)

The problem is I cannot restore the 38,7 gb image file to the d: partition as it is 0,1 gb too small!!

I cannot use the 300 gb computer, and I cannot afford to delete the system partition of the target computer! I see only two options:
1. Resizing the partitions on target computer
2. Mounting the snapshot-image as a virtual drive (done), and copy all files but the movie-files etc to D:

Problems encountered:
1. This is impossible as the C: is the system partition and they cannot be made smaller with programs like Acronis PartitionExpert...
2. Although all files but the movies are copyed, I cannot make it boot!
(method: I use a virtual pc that mounts only the D: partition as only hard-drive. It says "Missing OS" when trying to boot. Trying to install XP in this mode just comes to choosing a suitable partition between "Unknown" and "C:" (In reality "C:" and "D:" resp.), but then it cannot continue without having a windows-installation on "Unknown", the primary partition... Info: As I want the settings to be intact, the virtual bootup should recognize the D: drive as C:!
I also tried doing a fixmbr through the recovery console, but I dared not continue! Check the attached image for a screenshot!)

Please help!

Any tips appreciated!

(I had a similar post here earlier, but as this is a new situation, I feel this requires a new thread)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Bob Cerelli said:
I also started that thread, but this is a completely other situation. I never managed to make that zip-file, and I now have this image instead. And instead of "how to transfer files from networked drive", this is "how to boot from transferred files".

That requires another thread doesn't it?

#4 ·
Bob Cerelli said:
Have you tried extracting important data from that zip file to the computer that works.
Yes. But this is not a viable option yet.

It will include reinstalling and individually reconfiguring at least 17 programs/modules (apache, mysql, php, ant, subversion, putty, phpedit, netbeans, java jdks, editpad, photoshop, winscp, smartftp, .net framework, quicklaunch and desktop shortcuts) just to be able to set up this temporary workstation for usage only till they send my back the computer. It is just too much! Not to mention the work to uninstall it afterwards, as it is my roommate's computer...

I have two project deadlines, one tomorrow and one the day after, and I have lost three producative days already. This is a major crisis for me...

(Btw, closing the other thread as by now.)

#5 ·
I guess it depends on how critical it is for you and what your finances are. Hard drives are not that expensive (saw a 80 gig for $35 yesterday).

That would be one option what would give you enough space.

But also, are you trying to restore a laptop's image to a different computer and expect it to boot and work? That may be more of a problem to overcome. At least a repair install is usually necessary. With some of those apps, it may be more than that.

#6 ·
Bob Cerelli said:
But also, are you trying to restore a laptop's image to a different computer and expect it to boot and work?
Yes. Thinking this could be done by having a boot manager that simulated the second partition as the primary. Although I seem not succeding in this...

You are right about the hard-drive. I should have gone uot and bought a new drive to restore to the first day, as I probably lost about 300$ to date in productivity-loss. I was simply to optimistic making this work. This insight will help me next time, although not today.

I need guidance now... What is the best option?

Thanks for your help this far!

#7 ·
If it's just the laptop's drive that died, you might see about replacing it first. Then at least your image will be for the same hardware.

Also, in case it is an option, saw a 160 gig drive for $40 at Best Buy. Suspect there are other places with similar prices but at least you know it won't cost that much to get another drive, especially in comparison to how much time and money was lost already.

#10 ·
Well, now I remade the D: partition, making it a primary instead. I think that was sort of the dead-end I ran into before when i tried to repair-install the OS on that drive, it was not a primary partition (hey, what did I know about partitions back then..?).

Using, xplorer2 pro's Robust transfer feature, it was an ease this time to move the files from the image to D:, as it does not stop at errors as Windows explorer does (most irritating annoyance in windows??).

And, I found Boot-us (www.boot-us.com), EXCELLENT boot manager that has the power to boot into second partitions, hiding other OS-partitions at boot!

So, hiding the original OS and booting from the new system gave me some common errors that indicated a repair-install was needed.

A repair-install and it should work, ey? I sure hope so..

Accidentally I installed XP Home although the org-OS was Pro, so i got into dual-boot menus and stuff... hmm.

Just now I am installing the XP pro on top of that old windows folder (i think windows setup just deleted the original cp pro windows-folder.. hmm). Hope this works.

Is this the right way to do it by the way? Should I instead go into recovery-console and only do some sort of syschk??

#11 ·
A repair install is a bit different than what you are trying.

1. Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD
2. At the second R=Repair option, press the R key
3. This will start the repair
4. Press F8 for I Agree at the Licensing Agreement
5. Press R when the directory where WindowsXP is installed is shown. Typically this is C:\WINDOWS
6. It will then check the C: drive and start copying files
7. It will automatically reboot when needed. Keep the CD in the drive.
8. You will then see the graphic part of the repair that is like during a normal install of XP (Collecting Information, Dynamic Update, Preparing Installation, Installing Windows, Finalizing Installation)
9. When prompted, click on the Next button
10. When prompted, enter your XP key
11. Normally you will want to keep the same Workgroup or Domain name
12. The computer will reboot
13. Then you will have the same screens as a normal XP Install
14. Activate if you want (usually a good idea)
15. Register if you want (but not necessary)
16. Finish
17. At this point you should be able to log in with any existing accounts.

#14 ·
Bob Cerelli said:
A repair install is a bit different than what you are trying.

1. Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD
2. At the second R=Repair option, press the R key <== not true *mark på motin*
3. This will start the repair
4. Press F8 for I Agree at the Licensing Agreement
5. Press R when the directory where WindowsXP is installed is shown. Typically this is C:\WINDOWS
6. It will then check the C: drive and start copying files
7. It will automatically reboot when needed. Keep the CD in the drive.
8. You will then see the graphic part of the repair that is like during a normal install of XP (Collecting Information, Dynamic Update, Preparing Installation, Installing Windows, Finalizing Installation)
9. When prompted, click on the Next button
10. When prompted, enter your XP key
11. Normally you will want to keep the same Workgroup or Domain name
12. The computer will reboot
13. Then you will have the same screens as a normal XP Install
14. Activate if you want (usually a good idea)
15. Register if you want (but not necessary)
16. Finish
17. At this point you should be able to log in with any existing accounts.
Well, the 2nd point differs from my experience. You are to press Enter here. R takes me into the recovery console.

Anyway, I can't make this work, as I don't have the option to do a repair install, I can only choose to do a clean install or choose another Windows-folder to install to..

Bob Cerelli said:
Also, how did you do the reinstall back to D:. From the first post it was too small
I couldn't restore the image file using the image restore tool, but I managed to map the image to a virtual drive and then manually dragging all files but the movies to the D: partition.

#15 ·
Yes, the first repair option takes you to the recovery console.

But from your earlier post - "A repair-install and it should work, ey? I sure hope so.." - you need to use the other method.

But since so much has changed as compared to a normal restore, it very simply might not see the correct installation in the correct location.

For example, you are trying to restore an image, from an unknown source program, to a completely different hardware platform, on a secondary partition, which is only made bootable by a 3rd party boot manager. That's a lot going against you.

Of course you hopefully remember my early recommendation to avoid this on the other thread.

#16 ·
Bob Cerelli said:
you need to use the other method.
Which other method? 1. Recovery Console repair, 2. Repair win-installation or 3. Clean win-installation?

Bob Cerelli said:
But since so much has changed as compared to a normal restore, it very simply might not see the correct installation in the correct location.

For example, you are trying to restore an image, from an unknown source program, to a completely different hardware platform, on a secondary partition, which is only made bootable by a 3rd party boot manager. That's a lot going against you.
Yes the odds are not in my favor.

Bob Cerelli said:
Of course you hopefully remember my early recommendation to avoid this on the other thread.
Yes, but I also recall your recommendation as to use a imaging tool. This I have done, allthough restored the files in another manner, due to impossibility to use the imaging tool's restore.

Nevertheless, the thread recently turned into how to make a hd-restore boot from a second partition on another computer.

The only part left in the finding of a solution to this seems to successfully make a repair xp installation, although the repair-option is not available, due to the circumstances.

Questions:
Is there a way to make the repair option forced available?
Or, is there a way to do a manual repair install?

About manual install: When booting from this second partition, it complains on C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll being missing or corrupt. Do you think it is theoretically possible to get a system up and going by (from recovery console) copying the e:\i386\hal.dl_ to c:\Windows\System\hal.dll, rebooting, checking what file is corrupt this time, copying that one etc... ?

#17 ·
That was my recommendation. To use a backup imaging program that would not only make an image but be able to restore it. So you not only need a place to backup from, but a place to restore to. Not much use otherwise.

The Hal.dll error is likely due to all the hardware changes. That's what the file is primarily for. Can you try expanding the file from your OS source files.

Also as previously suggested, have you:

1. Gotten a replacement hard drive for the laptop rather than trying to restore to another computer, with different hardware etc

2. Gotten a larger hard drive so you don't have to try and restore to a secondary partition made bootable by 3rd party boot managers. This may be too much to ask of a XP repair to overcome.

Funny how computers work in mysterious ways ...

#18 ·
1. According to our service agreement, the laptop is to be picked up by the vendor, fixed and returned formatted with a functioning hard drive within 6 to 11 work days. This is why I cannot now replace the drive. They picked it up just 8 hours ago.
At the same time I really need to access the system so that I can do some work. Deadline tomorrow and another one in two days. This is why i am so concerned in getting this temporary solution working. Reinstalling all of the programs is, as I mentioned, just as time-consuming and more error-prone. I had everything working flawlessly in sync on the system until it crashed...

2. I have an option to image the stationary's primary partition out, delete the partition and restoring the laptop's backup-image there, that will fit. Allthough I believe I would encounter the same problems = the same problems if I were to plug-in to laptop's drive (when it was functioning) into the stationary computer. I believe that doing that or as now, using the second partition but with the primary partition "truly hidden" (making the second virtually the primary) is the same piece of cake.

I have now summarized the actual present problem in a new thread: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2870062#post2870062

Please post there from now on. Thank you for your help this far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.