1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved How to make sure the computer is clean after hacking?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by semisavvy, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semisavvy

semisavvy Thread Starter

Hi,

I am helping a friend of a friend whilst on holiday in Germany. He has been the subject of a "vishing" attack, ie bogus telephone callers made him install TeamViewer and give them the TeamViewer UserID and Password over the phone. Luckily he realised it was a scam when they started to ask for payment so he did not part with any money. I saw the laptop a few days later and immediatey removed the TeamViewer app. I am not sure for how long the laptop had been connected to the internet after the attack, so I am simply assuming it was vulnerable enough for the attackers to have compromised it if they wanted. However, there is no visible sign of any malware present and no scans have shown any signs of infection.

My question is: how do I make 100% sure the computer is clean again?

I am quite computer savvy but not a pro, moreover I mostly run linux at home - I have done a few hopefully sensible things so far:
    • As mentioned above, I immediately uninstalled TeamViewer
    • I performed a System Reset with the option to keep files
    • I checked that Secure Boot, UEFI boot mode and Fast Boot were enabled
    • Windows Defender quick, thorough and Offline scans
    • Windows Safety Scanner
    • McAfee quick and thorough .
    • I changed the windows login password
    • I will change his yahoo password too - otherwise he is a very light user and has very few passwords.
    So, would I need to do anything more? Should I perform a full Fresh Start reset? If so, would I have to activate Windows again? (The owner is not very organised and I doubt he has product keys or his previous windows password or anything handy - however, UEFI/BIOS claims the licence is digital).

I tried to create a USB boot media with Trinity Rescue Kit on it, but I have not managed to get it to boot. The laptop has no CD drive. Apart from the German chain TeVi I do not know of any local PC tech store.

Your help is very much appreciated.
    Ulf

======
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8035 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 212 GB (171 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Lenovo YOGA 510-15IKB
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. semisavvy

semisavvy Thread Starter

Hi again,

I went to the service dept of the local TeVi here in Nuremberg after all and a very friendly man advised that a full reset of Windows, not saving any files, would do the trick. This particular laptop had only been used for surfing and webmail so it wasn't a big sacrifice to delete the files. This full reset still keeps the apps originally installed by Lenovo and I didn't see any problems with drivers etc. At least not yet ...

I've also changed all his passwords after the reset, obviously.

Hope this helps someone else!

Best Wishes
    Ulf

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice