1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Map Skydrive to appear as netwk drive?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zapp22, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

Gang
    I've seen some supposed 'tutorials' on this but they differ quite a bit: do any of you know for sure how to map a microsoft skydrive folder as a network drive so that clients can use it as a 'normal' way of sharing files?

the same question could be posed for Google Docs - I guess these are competitors/equivalent in aim...

I'm thinking that if I can work this out correctly this might be a better solution than creating a VPN for mobile users, or FTP'ing.
    what do you think?

2. Rockn

Rockn

I am sure there is some sort of API or piece of software installed locally to accomplish this.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I did this a few months ago with a 3rd party utility. I can't remember the name of it. I am sure a quick Google Search will help you.

4. Squashman

5. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

ok, under 7 i got 'er done, but its not really usable in the way one would use a real network drive due to the sockets/credentials/login whatever being non-persistent. It matters not that I am live-logged-in , with each action to fetch/manipulate/save files - and I mean EACH and every action that needs to communicate with the drive, I either get another login challenge or an error due to permissions. So, bottom line is that the mapping can be done but its not usable.

Similarly, from websearching the same topic re: Google cloud services, no dice. Nice spot to put low-priority files in a parking place, but unusable for real work.

Next question, then, is what's a freebie or low-cost cloud-type service that CAN work just like a network share drive? Or shall I punt to a VPN setup [same list of questions, however...] ???

Advice?

For anyone that wants to set this up, basically create a live account, activate skydrive, go to your "My Documents" or create some other folders, while actually IN the folder, copy the network id of your location from the address bar.. I think its 16 characters/nums - excise that guy then create the string like \\43485463eb4234f8.docs.live.net\43485463eb4234f8\^.Documents
    where the insert "434....8" dummies for your real id.
    paste that string as the mapping address for the location you wish to setup using the drive mapping button in win explorer/computer.
    But, its quicker to just keep the folder open in chrome or other good browser and copy/paste repeatedly bi-directionally (n)

6. Squashman

I don't remember having that problem when using Gladinet.

7. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

i guess I could try their free offer. is there a better way to do this?
    Can someone tell me the easiest way to do a network/share/mapping for mobile users? I assume that VPN is the conventional way. is that the best way in today's world? these users are utterly non-technical..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice