1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to merge 2 identical databases

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by compujacks, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compujacks

compujacks Thread Starter

Hello.

Recently, our ingenious IT folks at company HQ resized a virtual partition to allow us more space on our file server. Everything went well except that they brought down our backup set from 11-18 instead of what we needed, which was 11-27. Luckily, they saved a copy of our old shared drive on the actual server itself, so I have the old data I need. Which brings me to my question:

How can I merge two identical Access Databases so that I can get the older records to merge with the newer records/database so that I have everything I need. Right now the gap is from the 18th to today.

This is probably relatively simple, but I'm really not an IT guy (more of a garage tech).

2. Rockn

Rockn

Just import the records that are missing. It may be more involved than that , but that is the gist of it. Just start where the old records leave off and import anything after that point

3. OBP

OBP

compujacks, welcome to the Forum.
    The difficulty of what you want to do depends on how many tables are involved.
    I am not sure what you mean by "Right now the gap is from the 18th to today", is that data on it's own or is there a database with all the data up to the 28th?
    If it is on it's own you need to import the table(s) and then append the data to the current historical tables.

4. OBP

OBP

Rockn, sorry I didn't see you post as I was typing.
    The OP may need to set up a method of identifying changes after the 18th.
    Also the tables may need to be Appended in "order" to get the correct Key field links.

5. Rockn

Rockn

They could create some queries to find any new entries after the 18th or PK's > then the last number in the table in question on the old DB. With multiple tables and foreign keys this may be an issue. Make a backup of both prior to doing anything.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice