1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to merge outlook pst files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by thepcjanitor, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepcjanitor

thepcjanitor Thread Starter

I'm finally recovering some old outlook data from another hard drive, and I want to merge the old files with the current. How can I do that?

2. gurutech

gurutech

File/Open/Outlook Data File - then point to the PST file you recovered.

Drag and drop folders/messages that you want to move to your new PST file, then you can right-click/close the old PST file.

3. thepcjanitor

OK, but I'd say that replaces one pst with the other. Is there a way to merge them? In other words, to get all my outlook data, contacts, etc., both from the old pst and from the new pst I've built while figuring out how to get at the old pst which was backed up with a flaw.

4. gurutech

gurutech

The files technically can't be merged. You would need to open both PST files in Outlook, and move the data from the old PST file to the new one.

5. Arun@microsoft

Arun@microsoft

Hey for ur info...

you can merge both the pst s by simply importing one pst into the other... for you it should be the old into the new....

For that click on File -> Import and Export -> Import from another program or file -> Personal folder file (.pst) -> browse to the location where you have the pst and click open and finish ....and BINGO all ur data is in there...:)

6. gurutech

gurutech

technically, that's not "merging" - it's "importing"... but yeah, you can do it that way too... :)

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I prefer gurutech's method rather than importing.

The main reason is you have a lot more flexibility and control over what you want to copy into the new PST file.

For example, if you import your InBox, you get it all. But if you only want to copy certain e-mails to your current PST file, gurutech's method allows you to do that.

8. thepcjanitor

I favor the copy method, because importing would cause issues of redundancy AND, most significantly, it would bring in old stuff that's now unwanted. However, it would bring in everything!

I'm not clear how to copy from one to another. I am able to open one or the other by renaming the files so that the one I want Outlook to open is outlook.pst.

gurutech, you say "open both files in Outlook". How?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Open the current PST File

Then in Outlook / File / Open / Outlook Data File

Now you will have both open in Outlook. Basically you can now drag and copy only those items you want from the old to the new. It's pretty easy with E-Mails and Contacts.

10. zzdave

zzdave

There is a program called UPSTART that will do this for you - amd more. I havent tried it but it looks just the thing. Costs around £24. A Google search will find it.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Or just drag and drop and save yourself the $48.

12. johnsteven

johnsteven

13. LeeJLa

LeeJLa

Tree is free tool to merge PST files - PST Merger. If you need to merge only two PST files PST Merger is easier and safer solution, comparing with drag and drop of PST files when both PST files are opened in Outlook. PST Merger will merge two selected files automatically into newer PST files without modifying data from original PST files.
    Also there is paid solution - Pro Edition of PST Merger. This Edition allows to merge PST files or move data from PST file into existing PST file. Also you can merge unlimited number of PST files at once.
    Save your time and merge your files with ease.

14. MikeFarmer

MikeFarmer

15. peterb8

peterb8

I am very much amazed to see the security and accuracy this product gives and very happy using this PST Merge Software. It was helpful and I really liked it very much. I will definitely suggest this software to many of my business partners and Outlook users.

1. It does not only merge PST files but also remove duplicate items from merged PST files.
    2. Users can use this utility to merge Outlook contacts only across PST files.
    3. Users can include or exclude deleted items while merging PST files.

I hope this tool will be helpful for you to get more accurate results than others.

Thanks John Steven for giving me such wonderful solution

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/533996