1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to merge user accounts?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Nando, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nando

Nando Thread Starter

Nov 19, 2001
    I was and still am having a HUGE issue posted here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/670397-explorer-exe-using-100-cpu.html

I gave it a shot and created a new user through control panel in safe mode. The new user account works perfectly. My question is:

Is there a way to merge the user accounts? I'll have a lot of work if I have to move all the files and folders from one account to the other manually, plus configuring browser bookmarks, desktop icons, system tray and stuff like that...

2. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Nov 16, 1999
    There is NO merge, you will need to copy or move the different files over.
    As you are going to find out that a lot of the OLD "System" folders will not work in the new account, BUT, the files will and can be copied.
  3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Apr 4, 2003
  4. Mumbodog

Oct 3, 2007
    Copy the old profile to the new profile

1. Control Panel\System.
    2. Click on Advanced System Settings.
    3. Click Settings button under the User Profiles section.
    4. Click the profile you want to copy.
    5. Click Copy to and type in or browse for the profile you want to overwrite.
    6. Click the Permitted to use button and add all user accounts that you want to give
    full control of the profile to.
    7. Click Ok.

That should be it. You may want to try this on a test profile before you
    do it on anything you are actually using. It will completely overwrite the
    target profile so make sure you don't have anything important stored there.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/671332